Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I remember from an ichthyology class that they do eat stingrays. Also, i was on a charter out of Pensacola and we had a trolling line out and caught one. I'm thinking the guy had bonita as bait. This magnificent head rose out of the water and snapped the line like it was cotton sewing string. Seeing that was the highlight of my fishing trip.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Rays and my super secret shark and snapper bait that most folks would never think about... bonefish. Big cubera and sharks love a fat bloody bonefish.

I am sure the laws in this state prohibit that though. I discovered that in Cuba.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The best way to target Hammerhead sharks is to start a chum line consisting ground up fish such as sardines and anchovies. You can do this while anchored or trolling. As you notice a oily slick behind the boat drift bait consisting of pilchard, flatfish, squid, sardines, or jacks hooked with a no 8/0 or 10/0 circle hook on a steel leader of 3 feet in length. Use a small weight to bring the bait down no more then 15 feet below the surface.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Live jack crevalle works unreal for hammerhead. I have also caught them on stingrays, barracuda, bonita. (one tip - they love a fresh bait) I have seen them come in and not eat a frozen or partially rotted bait but will eat a fresh bait.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
A 36"+ dolphin carcass missing fillets has hooked me up to a 14 footer...
I have used many different fish as shark bait and Lady Fish is a great bait... almost as good as tarpon.

Brent

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Rays and my super secret shark and snapper bait that most folks would never think about... bonefish. Big cubera and sharks love a fat bloody bonefish.

I am sure the laws in this state prohibit that though. I discovered that in Cuba.
haha... yeah i'm seeing a few issues here. nevermind that there are no bones anywhere close to this area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.