Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know to some folks this will be post-fodder, but a lot of you guys (and gals) will understand. Back story first - My old man had a 21 ft wellcraft for a bunch of years before I was born and kept it after I came to be. But, I never liked it because I never went out on it much. He sold the boat when I was 10 or so, and we never had one since. I went through school never fishing or getting on the water - until after I got off active duty. Dad bought a 17 foot G3 and when I came back home, we decided to go fishing as often as we could (he'd been on river boats, seine boats, barges, and commercial fishing most of his life). I fell in love with it completely. So, naturally, I started hounding dad about a bigger boat. Something we could go offshore in, something we could bottom fish or troll in - anything. I scoured craigslist and newspapers for (literally) 2 years - always got close, a few 'maybe's,' a few, 'well, let's see,' or 'lets go look's.' But, we never pulled the trigger.

This weekend, though, one of his friends on Facebook announced they were selling a boat, and dad went to look. Monday morning, dad picks it up from the guy. He bought it on the spot and said he just could turn it down. Naturally, I'm leaving for a week the same day he gets it, but we're already planning our first trip outside the pass over here. Easily one of the happiest days I can remember because I get to learn my old man's secrets from the man himself. He hasn't cracked his numbers book in years. This is going to be great.

-R.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I hope his numbers are still valid after all the storms have been through over the years. I'm novice, been doing the offshore thing for not even a year, but if you need any direction to some numbers of where to find some coordinates or some good starter places for bottom let me know I'd be glad to help where I can. I'm sure many PFF members would also be glad to help, minus sharing private numbers.:blink:

·
Registered
894 Posts
hell yea man thatll be awesome. i wish my old man would start fishing again. i havent been fishing with him in about 18 years when i was 15. have fun!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Thats great for you guys. What kind of boat did he get?

·
Registered
114 Posts
that's awesome dude......I wish my dad was still around to go fishing with. Ya'll have a great time and cherish what you have together...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris - He got an 18" Sea Pro. The boat is in great condition and needs nothing except tackle. Bottom machine, dual batteries, regulation required equipment all came with. Dad hooked up a hose and turned it over in the yard and it cranked right up. I'm on travel for Big Blue this week, but when I get home we're putting it in the water ASAP.

KE - Spending time with my dad on the water is EXACTLY why I'm so excited about this.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
for (literally) 2 years - always got close, a few 'maybe's,' a few, 'well, let's see,' or 'lets go look's.' But, we never pulled the trigger.
Man that sounds like my dad. LOL

To add to what wackydaddy said. I'll use this as a example.

Capt Paul Redman had well over 300 spots before Ivan. If I remember right he only found 60 something after.

Good Luck with your venture. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts