Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be making a gun hunt trip to Illinois in the next year or so and wanted ideas on the shotgun vs muzzleloader for Illinois and what setups are good for slug guns with scopes for the Illinois experience. All input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Muzzies are good options nowadays but you have to work out a good recipe for your rifle and that takes time and money. Plus followup shots are slow and the cleanup a pain. Given the choice between the two, i would go slug gun.

Savage makes a 20g slug gun accurate past 200yd with Remington accutip slugs. Model 220F. I've got one and can cloverleaf at 150yds with same recoil as a .243. Unlike a muzzie, you can unload it without shooting it.

For scopes there are specific slug and muzzy scopes with special marks for holdover and windage but i like a simple duplex. Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX3, or Nokon Monarch are all great choice. Don't go cheap on your glass!

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
I've got a good friend in Illinois who's wife inherited a farm. He doesn't hunt but has invited me to come hunt it several times. With their confusing regs and not being able to hunt with my 30/06, I have declined so far.
But, if I do decide to go, it will be with a slug gun.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Muzzies are good options nowadays but you have to work out a good recipe for your rifle and that takes time and money. Plus followup shots are slow and the cleanup a pain. Given the choice between the two, i would go slug gun.

Savage makes a 20g slug gun accurate past 200yd with Remington accutip slugs. Model 220F. I've got one and can cloverleaf at 150yds with same recoil as a .243. Unlike a muzzie, you can unload it without shooting it.

For scopes there are specific slug and muzzy scopes with special marks for holdover and windage but i like a simple duplex. Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX3, or Nokon Monarch are all great choice. Don't go cheap on your glass!

Thanks for the info. I would not have considered a 20g but will definitely look into this one. Does it have a rifled barrel? I can't agree more on the scope info. I tend to put more in my glass than rifle.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a good friend in Illinois who's wife inherited a farm. He doesn't hunt but has invited me to come hunt it several times. With their confusing regs and not being able to hunt with my 30/06, I have declined so far.
But, if I do decide to go, it will be with a slug gun.

Welldoya, don't let that stop you. Make the trip. I went to Schuyler county with my son for a bow hunt next year. Can't wait to go back!

·
Enjoying Gods Creation
1,262 Posts
I used to take a 12 guage H & R slug hunter single shot with fixed 6 power scope and shoot a lightfield 3" slug (that's what all the locals used so I figured they were good). It definitely did the number on the buck I shot! I have since sold that gun and now have a thompson pro hunter 50 cal muzzleloader with the nikon bdc scope because it can reach much farther than the slug gun. We were hunting a lot of open ag fields so I opted for long range opportunities. I've actually still got several boxes of the slugs if you go that route and need them. Your welcome to them.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Muzzies are good options nowadays but you have to work out a good recipe for your rifle and that takes time and money. Plus followup shots are slow and the cleanup a pain.
Soap and water is a pain? :whistling:

I can cloverleaf with my ML at 150 as well, but I will give you the unloading thing... Sucks to HAVE to fire it...

I've shot ALOT more deer with my $54 T/C muzzleloader scope than I have even seen with my Zeiss. It holds Zero just as good as my Zeiss, and am not paranoid about touching it wrong.... If it gets scratched, dented or falls apart.... Oh well. $54 more buck gets a new one.... For a muzzleloader or slug gun that wont be used for more than 250 yards, cheap glass is fine. 1000yd cross canyon sheep hunts, yeah, get the good glass! But that's just me.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hunting ,

I read that Illinois is going to allow black powder cartridge with reproduction rifles ,like missisipi . Not sure if this year or next . Maxfold

·
Registered
895 Posts
My brother went up to Illinois last year and they were running dogs. Granted he doesn't hunt much but he shot more than 20 times (slugs) and killed one buck.

Lololololol

·
Registered
635 Posts
Get the Savage 20 gauge, my cousin has three they are accurate and the recoil isn't bad. I bought a Remington 870 12 gauge back before Savage started making them. It's accurate and easy to carry but it kills on both ends, but if you bow hunt I'd at least carry it with you. I wish I had.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I've got an 870 that I put a 21" fully rifled cantilever barrel on. By far the most accurate slugs I've put through it are the Litefields in 3".You are restricted to 100 yards with it though. Its impressive what it'll do to a deer but it is equally impressive on what it'll do to your face and shoulder if you don't have the proper form when shooting it. ask me how I know....

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,973 Posts
I've got an 870 that I put a 21" fully rifled cantilever barrel on. By far the most accurate slugs I've put through it are the Litefields in 3".You are restricted to 100 yards with it though. Its impressive what it'll do to a deer but it is equally impressive on what it'll do to your face and shoulder if you don't have the proper form when shooting it. ask me how I know....
I bought (and sold) about the same setup a few months ago, after sighting it in and killing one deer with it, it had to go, by far the hardest kicking gun I have ever shot, not too fun on the giving end , felt like I had got my a$$ beat for 3 days after blowing about 20 rounds through it trying different slugs and sighting it in .

·
Registered
252 Posts
I bought (and sold) about the same setup a few months ago, after sighting it in and killing one deer with it, it had to go, by far the hardest kicking gun I have ever shot, not too fun on the giving end , felt like I had got my a$$ beat for 3 days after blowing about 20 rounds through it trying different slugs and sighting it in .
I did some work on a H&R single shot 12..scope mount, trigger job(3 pounds) beveled the tigger so just the tip of the index finger was all that was needed to fire it ; took some of the blockieness out of the stock where it shouldered better put a pachmyr recoil pad on it...it still kicked worse than any gun I have ever owned...It went to a gun show never to return home with me again..It's no fun having a weapon rip your shoulder off everytime you fire it..or even worse having a involuntary flinch knowing fire and brimstone is coming to your shoulder when you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Both can be 200 yard firearms anyday. I would pick something you have. If you have a muzzleloader pick that if you have a shotgun pick that but just get a rifled barrel. Honestly me I would pick a shotgun with a rifled barrel. I lot less stressful when trying to work up a load. I dislike muzzleloaders...... but if I had to buy a whole new firearm I would definitely pick a 20ga for slugs.

Reactions: doggfish

·
Registered
252 Posts
Both can be 200 yard firearms anyday. I would pick something you have. If you have a muzzleloader pick that if you have a shotgun pick that but just get a rifled barrel. Honestly me I would pick a shotgun with a rifled barrel. I lot less stressful when trying to work up a load. I dislike muzzleloaders...... but if I had to buy a whole new firearm I would definitely pick a 20ga for slugs.
The 20 ga. shoots like a rifle and the recoil is not very much unlike the 12

·
Registered
252 Posts
Get the Savage 20 gauge, my cousin has three they are accurate and the recoil isn't bad. I bought a Remington 870 12 gauge back before Savage started making them. It's accurate and easy to carry but it kills on both ends, but if you bow hunt I'd at least carry it with you. I wish I had.
Didn't Mossburg take over making the 870????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts