Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best bang for the buck gun safe under 1k ? only need a 10 to 15 gun safe. not insane heavy as it would be on a tile floor, but heavy enough to make the average crook throw their back out and not budge it. Fireproof rating is a plus as would like to keep other key paper documents in case of fire.aka will and insurance policy’s . Thanks in advance!

·
Bearded Brotula
16,399 Posts
Yea, a 15 gun does not hold 15 guns. Especially if they're scoped.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a liberty 18 with a dial. I didn’t want want the electronic lock when I bought it. That electronic lock might be nice and I have to almost watch a video every time I need to open the dial lock.

It is small, but fit right into my closet and took up what I thought was wasted space. Black rifles are not part of the 18 guns they are counting. Pistols maybe.

I say you could maybe get 6 to 8 long guns(no scope) 3 black rifles, maybe 8 pistols, and documents and etc

I have a lot of ammo crammed in mine, that makes it a pain to get anything out.

If I had to do it over again I would get a 36 and put it in the open rather than hide in the closet.

Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have a Sentinel. I believe it is a 64. It was $700
I cut out a closet door and reframed it so the safe would sit inside the space. Then put a barn door over it. It works almost like a small vault.
The problem I have now is that I need another cause 64 is a disaster when you need something in the back. You have to unload it completely.

i like the manual dial style lock just because I felt like it was less likely to give me an issue. I felt like an electronic type lock could give me a fit.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Yep, if you need to store 10 to 15 guns, get a 20 to 30 gun safe. Advertised capacity is about double actual capacity unless everything you own are single-shot crack barrels with no optics.
And definitely bolt it down. Even a decent sized safe can be dollied out by a couple average guys.
Pensacola Lock and Safe on Langley used to sell Everglades brand. I don't know if they still do... haven't been in there in a while.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I have a Sentinel. I believe it is a 64. It was $700
I cut out a closet door and reframed it so the safe would sit inside the space. Then put a barn door over it. It works almost like a small vault.
The problem I have now is that I need another cause 64 is a disaster when you need something in the back. You have to unload it completely.

i like the manual dial style lock just because I felt like it was less likely to give me an issue. I felt like an electronic type lock could give me a fit.
I have both kinds and feel the same way.That being said the electronics are way easier and quicker to get in.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I have 2 64’s. I bought them from academy on back to back Black Friday sales. I believe it was $599 (several years back). They are made by Cannon. Both of mine have a cutout on one side to accommodate longer barrels. I separated my rifles and shotguns because they couldn’t get along. I’d love another for pistols and AR’s and such. The fire safe rating is what meant most to me. As a 17 year firefighter I’ve seen guns from homes that didn’t have safes and ones that did. I have some heirlooms I’d hate to loose. Fires are happening more often than robberies

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Probably sold 500 safes with digital keypads and never had the first compliant. Buy a quality safe and you’ll have a quality keypad. Only thing I’ve ever done to any of mine is change the batteries every couple years.
My batteries have never died. I just change them every now and then when I think about it

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Whether you get a manual dial or a digital keypad, look for the S&G (Sargent & Greenleaf) brand. Usually on quality safes.
Personally I like the dial on my gun safe but I’ve got a digital on my smaller safe and haven’t had a problem.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,748 Posts
Yep, another one saying to get a safe MUCH larger than what you think you need.
And if you have a majority of AR/AK, other military style rifles and scoped rifles you might want to consider going three times larger.
That and it is amazing how firearms multiply when stored in close proximity to each other.

Remember you get what you pay for, inexpensive usually mean subpar in one or more areas, e.g. Residential Security Container vs a "real" Safe.

·
Bearded Brotula
16,399 Posts
I absolutely hate the dial on my safe
Sell yours to Halo and you call Splittine and buy a new one. I'll take my commission in cash, thank you.

Reactions: cody&ryand
1 - 20 of 45 Posts