Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a gun safe and was thinking about getting a dehumidifier for it and have a couple questions. Do I really need one? (I would rather be safe then sorry) and what one would be the best bang for my buck.

·
Super Moderator
7,097 Posts
I have had mine inside w/ no dehumidifier for 2 years, no issues. I had a golden rod which worked great when it was in the garage.

·
Registered
13,774 Posts
So. How does one keep a safe safe from humidity?

I believe if the relative humidity in you home remains near 50%. Higher humidity will not exist within the safe.

Purchase a cheap humidistat to monitor. I have a TekPro Global LT-2 that I set on top my thermostat to monitor my humidity. I think this costs about $12.

Maybe, you should splurge and buy one to monitor your home. The HVAC system in my house maintains the humidity no higher than 55%. That is a safe environment to keep safes safe.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So. How does one keep a safe safe from humidity?

I believe if the relative humidity in you home remains near 50%. Higher humidity will not exist within the safe.

Purchase a cheap humidistat to monitor. I have a TekPro Global LT-2 that I set on top my thermostat to monitor my humidity. I think this costs about $12.

Maybe, you should splurge and buy one to monitor your home. The HVAC system in my house maintains the humidity no higher than 55%. That is a safe environment to keep safes safe.
The humidity is not a issue inside my house as far as I am concerned lol (have a brand no ac sysytem) I am really just asking because I have always seen them for sell and just wondering if it is really something that is needed

·
Registered
424 Posts
my thoughts

my safe is not inside
after getting white mold on my leather slings I had to change something
I got the lockdown rods from academy and put the dessicant canisters from cabelas in my safe
found that leather slings and holsters need some help to combat the moisture in the leather
the white mold eventually transfers to the stock as well or any wood
with maintaining the humidity with the rods there have been no issues
like I stated mine is outside not indoors so if inside I doubt youll experience this
but all in all 20 bux to save the heartache and labor it takes to re-clean your stuff is well worth it
I even bought one of the monitors that wirelessly tells you the temp and humidity inside and out of your safe
understanding how the rod does its magic is a lil baffling but in a nutshell dry air in the safe forces out the humidity in the safe making its own climate zone

not my sling but this is kinda what showed up in this pic

Attachments

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
The goldenrods, lockdown rods, etc. are nothing more than a heater.
A very low wattage heater.
Like around 25 watts or less.
Can get same results with a 25 watt light bulb in the safe on all the time.
Old fashioned light incandescent not led, etc.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Yep, a heater that won't shatter in a gun safe. Bad idea.

Yea I suppose if you are prone to being clumsy inside a gun safe :001_huh: maybe you should go with the heating element in a tube.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
I use the same dehumidifiers that TennJeep uses. You can get them at Academy for around $23 and they are rechargable. Just for added security I add a small tub of Damp Rid. It lasts a couple of months.

·
Registered
806 Posts
look at how boaters do it in the cabin. buy some dessicant bags to hang up, 8 bucks for 3 each lasts a couple of months. fills up, toss and replace. very very effective solution, get them at publix or sams

·
Registered
143 Posts
look at how boaters do it in the cabin. buy some dessicant bags to hang up, 8 bucks for 3 each lasts a couple of months. fills up, toss and replace. very very effective solution, get them at publix or sams
You can save some money and recharge the dessicants. Lowest setting in your oven for a few hours will do the trick. The internet will give you more options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts