Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hog problem. There’s a sounder coming in at daylight pretty regular. Can I kill them with a gun during deer archery season. This is in Alabama. The best I can come up with is it’s legal. Just want some 2nd options

·
Registered
226 Posts
Never much understood why they get so bent about the invasives (hogs, coyotes etc). If it was private land, I'd pop em and never have a care or shed a tear. I shot a big sow that charged me in Eglin during turkey season and told the check guy about it. He couldn't have cared less.

I've seen jaguarandais on public land twice in Florida. When you tell the wildlife officials about them, they will deny they exist here. Then when you say "well I guess no one will care if I shoot something that doesn't exit"--whooo wheee, watch them lose their shit!

Shoot all you want--they'll make more!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As realtor recommended, I called to confirm. You can use a rifle, only restriction is day light hours only.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never much understood why they get so bent about the invasives (hogs, coyotes etc). If it was private land, I'd pop em and never have a care or shed a tear. I shot a big sow that charged me in Eglin during turkey season and told the check guy about it. He couldn't have cared less.

I've seen jaguarandais on public land twice in Florida. When you tell the wildlife officials about them, they will deny they exist here. Then when you say "well I guess no one will care if I shoot something that doesn't exit"--whooo wheee, watch them lose their shit!

I don’t mind bending the law sometimes or even breaking it if I feel it’s necessary. I just like to know when I’m breaking the law. Not to mention I’m probably going to put one of my sons on pig patrol while I bow hunt, and I don’t want to put them in a bad spot.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts

Please take pics. You’d be the only one with any evidence of a big cat up here!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I understand totally. Not sure the feedback on "day light only". I've gotten targeted emails from AL pig guides hunting private land primarily at night. They even tout their night scopes and one had a thermal imaging drone.

I say drop the hammer. You'll never get rid of them. Best you can do is control them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got one, but was on a crappy ass Iphone 4 and resolution was terrible. He stalked in on me and was within 20 yards. By the time I got the phone out, he was behind a planted pine. Picture is crappy.

Pair I saw this year in Eglin was way before daylight. The one day I didn't have my mega torch headlamp. I could just make them out with the one I did have.

Like bigfoot--ya never get the snaps when ya have the chance!

·
Registered
226 Posts
And they are NOT big cats. They look like a WAY oversized house cat.

And I could care less if you believe I saw what I saw (twice). Not about to go down that little rabbit trail. I've been all over the woods from here to Tallahassee and up in to Alabama for over 40 years. I know what I saw. Why you think so many people claim they saw a "black panther" around here? Dark color phase jaguarndai.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Get your boy one of Old Crow's grunt deer calls. Can make an awesome pig call too. He'll be calling em in in no time.

Could be those guides were hunting on land where the owner has a depredation permit. I know a guy who had one of the first half decent consumer night scopes and he used to hunt them up around farms in Jay years ago.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,794 Posts
I understand totally. Not sure the feedback on "day light only". I've gotten targeted emails from AL pig guides hunting private land primarily at night. They even tout their night scopes and one had a thermal imaging drone.

I say drop the hammer. You'll never get rid of them. Best you can do is control them.
In Alabama you have to get a state biologist come out and issue you a permit to shoot hogs at night. At least, that's how it used to be. The state doesn't care too much about hogs, given some of their rules.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Fish and Game deny their existence and say their furthest north range is southern Texas, but we have them in Florida...and I've seen them up in Va Beach at Ft Story. We would run into them night training the battalion recon team I ran. We were equipped with NVG and Starlight scopes. We'd see them on the edges of the swampy areas. Also saw a pair while we were doing some training in the Dismal Swamp. Reserve unit was feeding what they thought were a couple of stray half grown cats...turned out to be jugaurandai offspring. Wildlife guys wound up getting 2 adults and 3 half grown ones that roamed between Fort Story and First Landing State Park( across Shore Drive from Story.)

As far as big cats, we had one who got several of my
granny's piglets. My cousin and I were tracking the cat late afternoon in the creek bottom below the farmhouse and found out the cat was tracking us. Much bigger than a jaguarandais...and either dark grey or black. This was in the creek bottom of Holmes Creek about 1.5 miles south of Miller's Ferry

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I didn’t say they’re aren’t any cats up here. Just simply stated if anyone ever got a pic, they’d be the first. Don’t get defensive for no reason.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I didn’t say they’re aren’t any cats up here. Just simply stated if anyone ever got a pic, they’d be the first. Don’t get defensive for no reason.
Well, as I said I have a pic. But, it won't prove anything because it sucks. Sinking into the arguments I see play out on a lot of threads for no reason just ain't gonna happen. And, I'm not getting defensive, because I have no reason to. You can believe it or not--I couldn't give a rip. I'm not trying to sell tickets to peek in a circus tent at it, so whether you or anyone else believes me frankly just makes no difference to me at all. Had it not been for a friend's mom who rescued one and kept it over a long (very, I'm sure) weekend in her NYC apartment in the 70s, I might still not even know what it was. Once you've seen one (or three) up close, you won't ever forget it, and you won't have any doubt whatsoever what it is (or, more importantly, is not).

See KF501's response above. There are a lot of weird things about, and if you poke around in the woods long enough, you just may run into them. Get on out there!

There's a half decent video on the ol interweb of one in a Crestview backyard you can google and watch. It isn't proof positive by any stretch, but I'd lay money that's exactly what it was. It sure wasn't a house cat.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
If you plan on killing pigs during bow season, why not use a bow...then there is no question.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts