Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pompano Fear Me!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried Gulp sand fleas or shrimp in the surf. Seems like it might be good for when you can't find live ones? What do ya think?

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
I have never caught a fish on gulp sand fleas, tried. to no avail.

Used one gulp and one live one. The live one always caught the fish.

·
Registered
629 Posts
caught a slot red on a gulp sand flea. I think that the fake sand flea passed the fishes mouth at just right moment in time. I never did have much confidence in gulp for surf fishing.
Fish Bites are different thing though

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have tested these to no success in the surf...I use them for catching unpicky baitfish in the sounds and bays now. Keep trying though my friend, let me know what grabs on!

·
Pompano Fear Me!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the replies.....I guess it won't hurt to try....I'll let you know how it goes........where can I get fish bites?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I use them for bait fish as I mentioned. I'm sure, with enough determination something could be caught in the surf with them. Lady fish, and reds maybe. Reds will go after just about anything as I've experienced. Best luck I've had was with an very fast action light rod and jigging one on a j hook across the bottom of the sound. Got a fish just about every cast.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have used them for tipping jigs sight fishing on the local piers and have done well. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Gulp Sandfleas

I've seen only one Pompano caught on a Gulp! fake Sandflea. It was a big one; weighing 3.5 lbs!

I have several that were given to me but don't fish with one. I sometimes use a piece of Gulp! worm as 'sweetener' on my jigs. I think that fresh cut shrimp works better.

Some people swear by them; others swear at them!

Whatever works! JMHO C2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts