Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been trying for trout using the gulp minnows in new penny color on a red jig head. No luck. Can’t seem to keep the pinfish from biting the tails and body off. Any suggestions or techniques. Fishing mainly around Navarre and Gulf Breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Use smaller hooks and some split shot to get the hook down in the water.

Cut the Gulp! into small chunks and bait the hook with the Gulp! chunks.

Catch pinfish and put them into a bait bucket - don't touch the pinfish any more than necessary and keep them swimming in the bucket.

Once you have a nice school of pinfish, switch to a rod with either a live bait rig or a popping cork rig.

Use the pinfish on either your live bait rig or the popping cork rig in water.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use smaller hooks and some split shot to get the hook down in the water.

Cut the Gulp! into small chunks and bait the hook with the Gulp! chunks.

Catch pinfish and put them into a bait bucket - don't touch the pinfish any more than necessary and keep them swimming in the bucket.

Once you have a nice school of pinfish, switch to a rod with either a live bait rig or a popping cork rig.

Use the pinfish on either your live bait rig or the popping cork rig in water.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll give it a try. The trout prefer live bait I’m guessing

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I've caught a few trout on gulp but it ain't been many. I think there's a lot more better artificial out there for them. May would use it under a popping cork at certain times but I probably would try something different. This is in mobile bay and sound. May be different over here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've caught a few trout on gulp but it ain't been many. I think there's a lot more better artificial out there for them. May would use it under a popping cork at certain times but I probably would try something different

Any suggestions for artificial baits.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
It's getting the time over here for popping corks. I would try a doa or voodoo shrimp. A gulp shrimp imitation may work too under a popping cork. I like mirror-dines, catch 2000s, other subsurface mirror lures, and certain top waters. I hear matrix shad good but never tried. Again. I don't know if fishing over there is different than over here. It depends where the fish are and what they feeding on. I also love a gold rattle trap on certain occasions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's getting the time over here for popping corks. I would try a doa or voodoo shrimp. A gulp shrimp imitation may work too under a popping cork. I like mirror-dines, catch 2000s, other subsurface mirror lures, and certain top waters. I hear matrix shad good but never tried. Again. I don't know if fishing over there is different than over here. It depends where the fish are and what they feeding on. I also love a gold rattle trap on certain occasions.

Yea I have a few popping cork set ups that I’ve tried. I’ll keep at it.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
If you can find some small croakers about 5"-6" long. Rig the up through the nose. Good circle hook and popping cork are golden. Same thing with pin fish. I still use a lot of gulp, mirrodines, swim baits and a few others

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can find some small croakers about 5"-6" long. Rig the up through the nose. Good circle hook and popping cork are golden. Same thing with pin fish. I still use a lot of gulp, mirrodines, swim baits and a few others

How do you fish your gulps

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've caught a lot of trout on the Mirrolure Catch Jr. suspending twitch bait, at sunrise and sunset try a top water lure.

Thanks for the info. I’ll look them up and read up on fishing twitch baits

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Different size jig head depending on water depth. Bounce them across the bottom. Or jig head with a gulp jerk shad. Bounce it or swim it

Cool thanks. I’m trying to get used to saltwater fishing

1 - 20 of 36 Posts