Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy new year to everyone! I was wondering if anyone have tried the Berkley Gulp crabs. How do they work over the shrimp? I had luck with them down south, but haven't heard any reports on them up here.

David

·
Registered
313 Posts
The pin fish shred them. Unless you are sight fishing, forget it and don't waste your money. Put one in front of a Redfish though......

Nick

·
Registered
130 Posts
Carolina rig gulp crabs hook through swimmer fin and drift the pass.I like to start in October because the tthe crabs are on thier 4th moalt . I like the natural and moalt color best. Good luck.

·
Registered
313 Posts
ericholstman (1/6/2008)I agree with ReefDonkey. They are great for sightfishing buthave to be rigged correctly.Also, you can blindcast them under a popping cork against the sawgrass, particularly at high tide. Give it a try, you may be surprised!!

Just curious, and the correct way to rig is......

Nick

·
Banned
910 Posts
I have tried the Gulp crabs a couple of times with no luck. Now I know how to rig them. Thanks alot man I appreciate it.

Goes to show you the kind of people we have here on this site!! Awesome!! I am so glad I found this place.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
The only thing I can add, is when the bite is on, they can be fished under a float/bobber just like a live bait. I occassionally drag one behind the boat when using the troiling motor at very low speeds.

It needs to be rigged thru the back fin, so that it is pulled sideways to backwards thru the water like a real crab swims.

Success is limited, but hey, if you didn't put some kind of bait in the water, you surely would not catch a fish!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ahhhh....The lazy fisherman as we call it. We did really well last year in escambia bay dragging a 3" gulp shrimp under a popping cork behind the boat while fishing.

Nick

·
Registered
418 Posts
Eric, thanks for the advice. We fished South of Anna Marie Island on the West Florida coast last year for tarpon, first time my sons and I tried it.

I used the Gulp crabs on a cork, got some hits had more misses. I just couldn't get the hooked crab to present itself like it should. Got mad and switched to a gold spoon, caught fish but not like I should have.

Your advise will help, once again thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have caught fish with, but find they are harder to rig well than shrimp. Eric's advise might help, but why not just use Shrimp?

Shrimp are easy to rig weedless or exposed hook, redfish and trout (plus just about every thing else) eatum up.

I guess I'm still not clear on the advantage of a crab over a shrimp?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts