Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...I'm in cold Maine, 70 years old, looking for warmth and fishing. I'm looking to move to the gulf or panhandle to have a final chapter of wade fishing (no boat ...maybe a small boat) my days away .....for fish I can eat...trout, sheepshead, bass etc. I also love whitetail hunting. Help!! thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello...I'm in cold Maine, 70 years old, looking for warmth and fishing. I'm looking to move to the gulf or panhandle to have a final chapter of wade fishing (no boat ...maybe a small boat) my days away .....for fish I can eat...trout, sheepshead, bass etc. I also love whitetail hunting. Help!! thanks
I hear you there Sir! May I suggest you throw in some specifics as far as your preferences to help others answer your questions. From my personal experience, I relocated here to Pensacola relatively close to family in Foley about 4 years ago. My backyard wreaked of fish for the first couple of years. I’m in SW Pensacola so Perdido Key and Orange Beach is my go-to for surf fishing. Just know hurricanes are a regular scare down here.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I don’t know financial situation, but if you can afford it, live in a concrete multi story condominium. Most are very near the water if not on the water. You don’t have to worry about hurricanes, yard work, exterior maintenance, etc. You can focus on fishing, hunting, and the last years of your life. Good luck.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just know hurricanes are a regular scare down here.
The Panhandle has had more hurricanes historically than any other region of Florida, 35% more than the second most, and more than any other whole state! They don't call it Hurricane Alley for nothing.

Pensacola is, also, the second rainiest city in the continental USA (in total inches) right behind Mobile and right ahead of NOLA. In fact, eight of the ten rainiest cities are between Tallahassee and Port Arthur.

That and the mosquitos are the reasons the Spanish left in 1565. Pensacola is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Where in Maine? Even if from southern part of the state, it will be warmer here. In the summer most rain is pop up showers which means you have a lot of morning time to fish. We have a beautiful flat sandy shoreline but you have beautiful rocky shorlines with tide pools up there. I love to visit Maine. Spouse is from Presque Isle.

·
I like men
261 Posts
Bad time to be looking in Pensacola area (including most of Santa Rosa County). Prices are spiked due to storm damage. Unless you have significant savings, do not fall in the condo trap. Special assessments can kill you. There are a handful that don't get damaged too bad regularly, but there were plenty of folks who let units go post Ivan due to damage producing a special assessment. IF you can afford it though, they certainly have positives for some people.

If you need to get down here quick, pack up, buy a travel trailer when you get here, and live in a park until you decide where you want to be. You may decide you like the park life just fine.

If you don't like the park life long term, then my 2 cents is find an area you like that allows manufactured homes. That is not going to be super close to the bays or sound, but you need a boatload of money to live super close to those anyway. Buy an acre or so, move your travel trailer to it until you have it all set up, and then pay cash for your home. Decide if you can stomach going bare on insurance and enjoy life. You'll have plenty of opportunities to get in some water somewhere, and you almost certainly are going to want a small boat.

Between Blackwater and Eglin alone there are around 500,000 acres of public land to access, (plus Eglin has around another 250,000 acres of mostly closed access land). You'll have plenty of opportunity to chase deer if you want.

Wife and I love Maine, but man I would not want to be there after about right now. I enjoy flip flops and shorts at Christmas too much.

What part of Maine?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts