Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My family lives near Gulf Shores and we visit 3-4 times a year. We fish the piers (Flagler, Sunglow, Daytona) every weekend down here in Central Florida so when we heard the GSPP was re-opening we were thrilled to death....until we saw the license requirement. I've never been to a pier before that didn't bake license fees to out of staters into the admission cost and though I have plenty of theories as to the why's and how comes I can't quite understand Alabama's logic or reasoning. I'm really surprised Florida and Alabama don't have reciprocal programs, either. Anyways, this last trip up the family and I drove from Foley back to Pensacola twice rather than suffer the license fees in Gulf Shores. The Pensacola Pier had some of the friendliest folks I've ever met pier fishing (believe me, there's some world class a-hole pier rats down here in Daytona by comparison) and we had 2 great days cranking up the Sheepshead.

I'm sure the subject has been beaten to death here in this forum but as a first-time poster I just wanted to solicit some fresh feedback on the subject. In my opinion the state of Alabama lost around $60-100 worth of business (pier fees, food, drinks, & baitfor a family of 3) that I drove to Pensacola and spent. Any chance the politicians in Alabama might change their tune in the near or distant future?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
You certainly are not alone in complaining about this. Alabama does have some reciprocal laws that apply to license regs. but I dont know how they apply to piers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live in Alabama and I will be the 1st to say we are our own worst enemy. Maybe next time things will be different.

·
Registered
344 Posts
live in alabama too. this is an odd thing to do -- state own peir (my tax $$$)& you fish in state waters -- i too need a lic to fish on that pier ( my tax $$$ at work ) .... my 2 .. its so the state can double tax you, some people may say its called a "user fees" .... but if i recall right ??? somebody correct meif i am wrong, but i thinkwhen the fishing lic law was passed -- "if it is a private own public pier", they pay the statea flat user fee (tax)-this covers fishermenalabama lic fee.... this helps private own piers -- less paper work for them to keep up& less questions they have to ask--- good luck fishing. Poppy

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Deltona Pier Rat (4/6/2010)Hello all,

My family lives near Gulf Shores and we visit 3-4 times a year. We fish the piers (Flagler, Sunglow, Daytona) every weekend down here in Central Florida so when we heard the GSPP was re-opening we were thrilled to death....until we saw the license requirement. I've never been to a pier before that didn't bake license fees to out of staters into the admission cost and though I have plenty of theories as to the why's and how comes I can't quite understand Alabama's logic or reasoning. I'm really surprised Florida and Alabama don't have reciprocal programs, either. Anyways, this last trip up the family and I drove from Foley back to Pensacola twice rather than suffer the license fees in Gulf Shores. The Pensacola Pier had some of the friendliest folks I've ever met pier fishing (believe me, there's some world class a-hole pier rats down here in Daytona by comparison) and we had 2 great days cranking up the Sheepshead.

I'm sure the subject has been beaten to death here in this forum but as a first-time poster I just wanted to solicit some fresh feedback on the subject. In my opinion the state of Alabama lost around $60-100 worth of business (pier fees, food, drinks, & baitfor a family of 3) that I drove to Pensacola and spent. Any chance the politicians in Alabama might change their tune in the near or distant future?

So you went to the Pensacola Beach Fishing pier so that you could save 50 cents per adult per day or pay $5 more per adult for a week permit to fish?

Or did you go to the new Three Mile Bridge Fishing Pier which is/was free only for a limited time after opening?

We Floridians with fishing licenses do not get a discount to fish the Pensacola Pier. you pay to fish, period.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
money, money, money money money money it's all about the money. i also live in alabama.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two adult Alabama trip passes = $60 plus $16 to fish per day. $92 bucks.

Pensacola cost us $19.50 per day (with a 9 year old). $39 total.

Every pier I've been to in Florida (Daytona, Panama City, Pensacola, Flagler, etc.)doesn't require out-of-staters (aka: damn tourists) to purchase a fishing license to fish the facilities. I would have been more than happy to spend more money in Alabama (I actually bought an Alabama license lastMay just to fish the pier and go fishing out of Magnolia Springs but it expired in August 2009) but we had no idea one trip to the pier would turn into two as it did with going out to Pensacola.

I would have gladly paid $10, 12, or even $15 a day to fish the Alabama pier if the license were "baked in" or "rolled in" to the daily admission.

I do have to say (again) the crowd at the Pensacla Pier were incredibly friendly and accomodating. I'll definetly be back.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
alright, ya'll quite bitching bout the money,

if you want to fish, you gotta pay the man. where can you fish for free? do you buy bait?

do you buy tackle? do you buy, buy, buy. you know? let's all just get a stick, find some used line at the bank, get a rock for a sinker, go dig some bait, go to the boat landing and catch all you want, free. call me when you get home. i'll bring the cooking oil.

jack2

·
Registered
210 Posts
POPPY (4/6/2010)live in alabama too. this is an odd thing to do -- state own peir (my tax $$$)& you fish in state waters -- i too need a lic to fish on that pier ( my tax $$$ at work ) .... my 2 .. its so the state can double tax you, some people may say its called a "user fees" .... but if i recall right ??? somebody correct meif i am wrong, but i thinkwhen the fishing lic law was passed -- "if it is a private own public pier", they pay the statea flat user fee (tax)-this covers fishermenalabama lic fee.... this helps private own piers -- less paper work for them to keep up& less questions they have to ask--- good luck fishing. Poppy
your right but the pier is not privately owned it is state owned the only pier in this area this applys to is cedar point witch is privately owned.

dont get me wrong i dont agree with this either but the state goin to get all the money they can, and if it was this way when i go to florida it would affect my fishing down there.atleast they could do is a pier license like they do for resident .its only six dollars for residents,even if it was ten dollars for a three day like florida does on a regular nonresident license for fish from private boat or off the beach ,it would be better than what they do now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
#1--I ALSO LIVE IN ALABAMA AND THIS STATE HAS THE DUMBEST LAWS EVER. THE FISHING LICENSE IS JUST ONE OF OUR PROBLEMS. EVEN TO END THE LICENSE AND MAKE YOU BUY A NEW IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SUMMER (NO MATTER WHEN YOU BUY YOUR LICENSE IT WILL EXPIRE ON JULY 31, NOT ONE YEAR FROM THE PURCHASE DATE LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE)) JUST TO MAKE EVEN MORE MONEY. THEN TO CUT THE COMBINATION (SALTWATER & FRESHWATER LICENSE) OUT. BUT YOU ARE ALSO TALKING ABOUT GULF SHORES, IN MY OPINION IS THE BIGGEST MONEY GREEDY PLACE TO GO IN THE FIRST PLACE. BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION SINCE I HAVE LIVED HERE MY WHOLE LIFE... OH AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE FULLY EQUIPPED ON EVERYTHING YOU DO ON THE WATER, CAUSE MOST OF THE POE POESDONT PLAY. IF I HAD A FLORIDA ADDRESS I PROMISE I WOULD FISH THERE BEFORE HERE ANY DAY OF THE WEEK, INSTEAD I JUST BUY A WEEK LICENSE ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Florida non residents of Alabama can get an annual saltwater pier fishing license, allowing them to fish off of any state pier for only 11.00. That's not to bad. And AL residents can get the same license for only 6.00

1 - 11 of 11 Posts