Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, my wife and I are planning a trip the second week of April and will be staying at Gulf State Park. I have always wanted to fish in the ocean so Lord willing I am. I have purchased a 10 foot medium 2 pc poll, Penn 5000 reel, 30 lb braided line and the drop down pier net. I have no weights, leaders, swivels or lures. I will be either surf or pier fishing there, hopefully I can bring home some fresh fish and, I hope it's not from the local fish market, ha. Being that I dont know what will be in season then, what do you all recommend for my list above? Make my own leaders?

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
When you get down there go buy a smaller rod set up at Walmart to catch bait. Get a ribbon rig and keep it on it. Go catch live bait (LY's)if you wanna catch Kings. I would get a 3rd rod to fish the bubble rig on. 3500 series or 4500 series. get a couple of spoons to throw one on in the event of a Red fish run.

·
Registered
499 Posts
As the date gets closer and you feel the desire to do some near/offshore fishing, send me a PM with your contact info and I might be able to get you on a trip and share expenses. Usually a lot of fun, especially for 1st timers. No tackle needed. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you get down there go buy a smaller rod set up at Walmart to catch bait. Get a ribbon rig and keep it on it. Go catch live bait (LY's)if you wanna catch Kings. I would get a 3rd rod to fish the bubble rig on. 3500 series or 4500 series. get a couple of spoons to throw one on in the event of a Red fish run.
I do have plenty of smaller set ups which I can bring. LY's ?? This trip is not coming soon enough

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
off shore

As the date gets closer and you feel the desire to do some near/offshore fishing, send me a PM with your contact info and I might be able to get you on a trip and share expenses. Usually a lot of fun, especially for 1st timers. No tackle needed. Tight Lines!
I've heard its a lot of fun and something I have never done. What might the price be?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I'll be there then everyday fishing , unless the water gets dirty then a day trip to Navarre , usually on the end spanish fishing with jigs, or king fishing with ly or cig's , people know me by my screen name
I can help you out....the 10ft rod is kinda long for the pier and will make a long day using it (more suited for the surf)....gotcha's , jigs, or spoons work well for spanish.....best advice was given go to J&M tackle on canal rd in orange beach, plenty of folks willing to help....watch who is catching and do the same
I'll have a few jigs for sale if interested

·
Registered
60 Posts
Listen to this guy. He knows.:thumbup: I will be a needing a few of those jigs when I come down. didn't get any last year and I don't know why.

I'll be there then everyday fishing , unless the water gets dirty then a day trip to Navarre , usually on the end spanish fishing with jigs, or king fishing with ly or cig's , people know me by my screen name
I can help you out....the 10ft rod is kinda long for the pier and will make a long day using it (more suited for the surf)....gotcha's , jigs, or spoons work well for soanish.....best advice ws given go to J&M tackle on canal rd in orange beach, plenty of folks willing to help....watch who is catching and do the same

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
You can never have too many of anything fishing for spanish, one cast poof it can be gone (cut off) 50lb mono leader gets more bites then wire.....lures (xrap) or others get 30lb seven strand wire but usually don't throw a lure....jigs are the safest (single hook) will explain more on the pier

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can help you out....the 10ft rod is kinda long for the pier and will make a long day using it (more suited for the surf)....gotcha's , jigs, or spoons work well for spanish.....best advice was given go to J&M tackle on canal rd in orange beach, plenty of folks willing to help....watch who is catching and do the same
wow, thats a lot of tackle. Other than a 10' rod my rods are lighter duty ones, maybe pick up a cheapy used on on Craigslist. I guess the first day down there I can see whats working, I actually wouldn't mind surf fishing, seems a little more less intimidating with less people around a novice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
We all started some where/some time....bass equipment works for most everything, but the kings ,reds, (unless slot) jacks then something that holds 250 to 300 yrds of line....sharks have been bad (hoping they don't show till after I leave....anything with wheels is a plus to get gear out.....it's a long way to the end , main thing is cast straight out, keep your bait in front of you, moving the the current....the people is what I like the best, it can be organized caos when the fish are there
Alot of those are shared with friends but most likely selling some this trip
Make sure you get a saltwater fishing license. ....the pier can be cheap, but pier only....you can not use that anywhere else but a couple piers

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Reactions: badonskybuccaneers

·
Registered
2,578 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my wife is my wheels, she's got a strong back. lol, no I have a beach wagon that she bought a few years ago to take everything from the car to the beach. I think it will hold a good sized cooler

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We all started some where/some time....bass equipment works for most everything, but the kings ,reds, (unless slot) jacks then something that holds 250 to 300 yrds of line....sharks have been bad (hoping they don't show till after I leave....anything with wheels is a plus to get gear out.....it's a long way to the end , main thing is cast straight out, keep your bait in front of you, moving the the current....the people is what I like the best, it can be organized caos when the fish are there
Alot of those are shared with friends but most likely selling some this trip
Make sure you get a saltwater fishing license. ....the pier can be cheap, but pier only....you can not use that anywhere else but a couple piers
I assume I can get a license online?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts