Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stayed in Gulf Shores this past weekend so the fam could go to the Hang Out Fest. Fished in front of the Condo on Friday and Saturday. The water was rough with a strong SE wind. All kinds of crap was washed up on the beach. Most of it was some sort of kelpy/lily looking plants with a rootball, stalks, and (dead) leaves. There was a hint of sargassum, and no June Grass at all.

I fished Friday early AM and about 3:00PM. Caught 3 keeper pomps along with a few shorties, some small whiting and only 1 ladyfish. In the afternoon I had a couple of helpers with me and we caught 6 pomps. All but 2 were keeper size but we only kept 2.

Saturday was about the same in every way. Water rough, crap on beach, plenty of pompano. Saturday pompano was the only thing we caught. No whiting or lady fish.

It stormed Saturday night and on Sunday the Water was much dirtier and the Sargassum had moved in a little thicker. No fishing this day.

Mike

Friday morning pomps, My helpers with the 2 Friday afternoon pomps, The crap on the beach, and pompano bagged up for the freezer.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice fish, report, and a nice mess of fish to show for your weekend. The organic matter is hard to fish around sometimes but needed in the ecosystem ( just needs to do a better job of staying out of our way sometimes). From the looks of what is in the gulf now all that may get worse soon. "Keep a line in the water") Fishin'Don

·
Local 28 Years
212 Posts
Was there a special technique you used to get the red stuff off the back of the filets? I always get that red fatty stuff left on mine then I have to chisel that it off. PAin in the ass.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With all the "vegetation" on the beach, and as rough as the surf was, there weren't many people in the water.

As far as the fillets go, I usually will fillet each side and then cut the centerline out. It usually has those little pieces of bone in it as well as that darker meat/bloodline. I end up with one long fillet (top) and one short fillet (bottom) for each side. Then skin 'em.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts