Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only here for 3 days, cannot get a bite, surf fishing on gulf shores beach area. Please give me some help or ideas on how or what to fish. Looking for anything to catch. Thanks, Bassky from Kentucky

·
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
685 Posts
Fishing has been tough from shore lately because of the full moon and super smooth/clear water.
Talk to Dusty at Top Gun B&T or Chris V at Sam's (both in Orange Beach).
Right now FRESH shrimp and orange Fishbites on a light rig should be all you need...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trough?

Where and what is the trough? How much weight to use with fish bites on beach? Thanks for the info guys!

·
Bearded Brotula
11,527 Posts
The way it has been lately, 2 oz is the most you'll need. It was slow yesterday. Big mullet out, but not much else. Get some shrimp and flea flavored fish bites. I only put a 1" strip on mine. Peel the shrimp, pomps are lazy. Cast way out and if you don't get a hit for a while, then cast close in. Whiting are usually close in. Catch some mullet and cut up one. Throw it out on a Carolina rig and wait for a big red or, more likely right now, a shark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3 whiting and 1 red, all small less than 12". Caught on 3/4 oz dropshot with shrimp flavor fish bites in pink color. Saw pods of mullet all around me, threw swim baits no takers. Thanks for your help!
Bassky

·
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
685 Posts
Where and what is the trough? How much weight to use with fish bites on beach? Thanks for the info guys!
The trough is the deeper 'hole' between a sandbar and the beach.
Often demarked by darker colored water, or zone where rolling waves cease breaking.

For weight, I go as light as the conditions dictate.
In calm clear water, I may use 1/2 to 3/4 ounce egg weights with a 7 foot bass or crappie rod ;-)

Glad to hear you caught a few!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts