Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out last Saturday and got 4 or 5 big keeper snapper on the sandflea reefs near the Miss Louise, using a jig tipped with cigar minnow cut bait. Saw a 1' sea turtle too. On Sunday I got a grouper on one of the tanks, and also had a dolphin swimming along with me as I paddled. I see them out there all the time, but this one was actually surfacing just off my bow and all around me over and over, like they do when you're going out on a party boat sometimes. Here's a picture from Saturday.

If the forecast looks decent on Saturday or Sunday, I'm hoping to get up early and paddle out to the Janet wreck or some other spot way out and try some vertical jigging for amberjack so I can actually keep something. Anyone interested?

Also, here's a sail I got last year on Sep 30 trolling a shallow diving yozuri near the Okaloosa island pier. I never got around to posting it. It jumped about 20 times and I got some video of one of the jumps. It was about 5' long from bill to tail, and I released it. Can we hope for as many sails this year, or was that a once in a lifetime event?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Nice:bowdown! First sail I've seen on an artificial bait from the yak! Not sure on the Sailfish...might have been a once in a lifetime deal...from everyone I've talked to its NEVER been that good on the beach for sails. Maybe it is a sign of things to come! As for the Janet that is a long haul in a paddle yak. Ive never made it out that far but I would be willing to go later in the season(May/June) when the oppurtunity for other species is around. Thats a long way with no fish to catch in between but be sure to post if you make the journey! Good Luck!

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
Great report and nice pics of the sail.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Nice report! Its hard to say about the sails. It seems they get some every year off a pier or a boat near the pass, but honestly I don't think there has ever been as many people fishing just of the beach(yakkers). The boats don't normally fish near the beach in the fall and if they do its usually just neara pass. I think the number of people fishing has alot to do with it but it was a great year! Nice fish!

Not trying to bust your balls and I think its a freakin stupid law, but I don't think you are allowed to use natural bait on anything but a circle hook(atificials included) when fishing for reef fish. Just wanted to let you know just in case. Like I said its retarded!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Nice report and thanks for posting that sailfish pic! I'm jealous! I think now that is 10 sailfish that were caught last year from a kayak. There are a few spotted around in yaks most years, but I don't know of any that were caught from yaks prior to last year. Given the number that were also caught of the piers, it was definitely a unique year and we just hope that the Gulf streamshoves all oftheir favorite foods up to our beaches again this year. :letsparty

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, you're probably right, Tex. Not worth it to paddle that far until the water warms up a bit more. The winds are high this weekend anyways. Nice blog and advice, by the way.

As far as fishing with a lure that doesn't have a circle hook, I was fishing for cobia or kings and those pesky snapper kept biting instead. Not sure how they can enforce that law when you're not using gear specific to bottom fishing. If I do have issues with gut-hooking fish, I'll stop using the jigs.

What is the best way to post videos? I'll post a good one I got of the sail jumping if you guys want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts