Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy crap!!! I just looked at the price of real estate down there. Where in the hell do you guys live? I have a 1700ft house on half an acre ina quiet, very convienient part of town. Just for giggles (I would like to move toward the coast) I used 150% to my house value and did a seach over the Destin, Niceville,and Freeport areas (site I was on did not have P'cola). The search engine came up with 5 results. ALL of them were doublewide trailers on tiny lots and NOWHERE near the water!!! How do normal people live down there? You know, people with hourly wage jobs. Do the people that work at McDonalds just live out of their cars?

I would just like to move within 20-30 mins of the water. You know, the north side of a coastal town. I guess I need to start playing the lottery.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
hahaha My house and acrage would be worth MILLIONS if it were on the beach. 3600 sf living space with full basement and 7.5 acres:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
NoMoSurf... you SHOULD have moved here back BEFORE Sept 04!! You could have found all kinds of good deals. NOW....... laughing... the prices have gone through the roof! See what a couple of hurricanes can do for ya?:banghead

·
Registered
272 Posts
Prices are falling. Just wait it out. Nobody is buying except the super rich who are still buying gulf front. People who work for McDonalds live with their parents.

Crestview is booming with afforable houses but it does have some traffic problems.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
NoMoSurf (10/1/2007)Holy crap!!! I just looked at the price of real estate down there. Where in the hell do you guys live? I have a 1700ft house on half an acre ina quiet, very convienient part of town. Just for giggles (I would like to move toward the coast) I used 150% to my house value and did a seach over the Destin, Niceville,and Freeport areas (site I was on did not have P'cola). The search engine came up with 5 results. ALL of them were doublewide trailers on tiny lots and NOWHERE near the water!!! How do normal people live down there? You know, people with hourly wage jobs. Do the people that work at McDonalds just live out of their cars?

I would just like to move within 20-30 mins of the water. You know, the north side of a coastal town. I guess I need to start playing the lottery.
I feel your pain and basically asked the same question some time ago.With the real estate market taking a down turn prices will slowly come down. Once the mortgage industry gets slapped with realityprices will come down more.Karl would you care to expand? I know you're out there lurking. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Banned
186 Posts
I have a fixer upper about 15 minutes from the beach I'd sell you way cheap. I am tired of landlording. Plenty of room to park a boat and only 5 minutes to a ramp that is 15 minutes from pensacola pass.

Doug

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
I've got a great house in Pensacola listed for $140, but will let go for $130 after my realtor contract runs pout in a month. 1723 sq feet with 1/4 acre and I own the 1/4 acre next door. 2 sheds (12x16 and 8x10), nice quiet neighborhood with no outlet. Plenty of room for boats, trailers, etc. call me at 516-1670 for details.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Cantonment is nice. I live in Milton and am tring to move there. I used to live in Destin and way too crowded! Plus the fishing here is way better in P'cola.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Too expensive? Try looking at prices for waterfront comunities in the rest of the country (west coast, east coast, South FL). Pensacola is an amazing BARGAIN compared to most places! Lower taxes (still) than a lot of places too! On top of that, we have better fishing, beaches and weather than most, and less traffic! Heck we even have some high ground (can you say storm surge?) right up to the water! What I'm asking formy 2800 sq ft home (1/2 mile from the bay) wouldn't get me a similar building lot in a lot of other places!

OK, here's a challenge: where could one go to find better (apples to apples) prices on real estate with equal ammenities, easy water access,and quality of life???? :letsparty

·
Registered
948 Posts
don't forget all the places like foley, fairhope, lillian, etc in baldwin county as well, all within 1/2-hour of the gulf and 15-minutes of salt water...

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Flounderpounder (10/4/2007)Too expensive? Try looking at prices for waterfront comunities in the rest of the country (west coast, east coast, South FL). Pensacola is an amazing BARGAIN compared to most places! Lower taxes (still) than a lot of places too! On top of that, we have better fishing, beaches and weather than most, and less traffic! Heck we even have some high ground (can you say storm surge?) right up to the water! What I'm asking formy 2800 sq ft home (1/2 mile from the bay) wouldn't get me a similar building lot in a lot of other places!

OK, here's a challenge: where could one go to find better (apples to apples) prices on real estate with equal ammenities, easy water access,and quality of life???? :letsparty

You have to look at it in relative terms. I'll throw my numbers out there... I'm not ashamed. I have 1700sqft on end of cul de sac with almost a half acre and a nice shed. Nice quiet middleclass neighborhood. 3 mins from the Mall, 5 mins from the interstate. AND 2 mins from the local fishing store! $70,500(4 years ago). House next door, smaller house, smaller lot, crappy driveway, sold for 99,900 in less than a week. I'm in good shape.

Take $100,000 +25% (willing to have a little higher house payment) I searched in the areas that I mentioed above (it was just my first search). I actually prefer P'cola or AL. The only thing I came up with were 5 doublewide trailers for $122-123,000. A similar doublewide here would be in the $50,000 range!

I'm not "actually" looking for a house. I was more day dreaming. I would have to find a job there first. I searched another site (for Pcola, milton, pace etc) and saw a few houses in the 140-180 range, but they were all in pretty bad shape. I've had a couple of PM's offering houses, but they were all WAY out of my range. I went way wrong somewhere in life :banghead haha. Thanks anyway guys.

As for DeFuniak. My family is from there, but I want to be much closer. I want to live in a town that has water frontage. Not, a house with frontage, just in a town that does.

Like I said, I would have to find a job first and I have never looked for a job. I have always been hired away from where I already worked by someone offering more money. Anyone know anyone looking to pay good money for 36yr old fishing bum. I'm willing to work overtime at it!:angel The point of my post was more to point out the huge gap in middleclass housing in the whole gulf market. My wife and I would obviously have a really hard time living there, unless the wages were just vastly better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts