Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
eating tasty
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2019/05/14/gulf-power-add-storm-charge-hurricane-michael-recovery/1190651001/

Just saw this. Thoughts?

Not a fan of this at all. They are a private business, not a government funded entity. It’s not our responsibility to pad the millions they are already making off our backs. I pay my taxes like everyone else, this money should either be state or government funded, or covered by gulf power themselves. Don’t give hard working people ANOTHER tax because gulf power didn’t put enough in their savings fund. Its mismanagement on their part.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I agree with what you say.

But, what keeps any private business from raising prices on anything any time they want?

The PSC is just a middleman (I mean yes man).

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
approved by the State? just another tax piled on, like the last gas tax added, insanity at its best!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Not a bad thing really…… Get to upgrade the existing obsolete electrical grid with modern technology that will lower the overall cost of operation and maintenance which in turn will increase profits.... and do it at the expense of the customer base and hide it under the label “ hurricane damage“……… Almost like insurance fraud..... The payoffs the rip offs… The things nobody saw.......

We all need to go buy Gulf power stock.... it’s like a license to steal…… like I said, not a bad thing really if you are Gulp power.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FenderBender

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Did they ever get bought out by the company down South? Just wondering if that is the reason.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
eating tasty
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why don’t they just call it what it is- a 7.4% rate hike across the board. Standard residential rates are 10.7 cents per kWh. 1,000 kWh used to cost $107. Now it will cost $115. Instead they use convoluted math and terminology to attempt to confuse consumers and hopefully avoid their outrage.

Easy math, add 8 bucks for every $100 your power bill used to be. It’s gonna sting this summer...

·
Registered
187 Posts
So if they are a private company and installing such things as wires and poles why dont they have to have insurance on it then and then if its hit by hurricane then turn it over to the insurance company??I don't know there business but i have to have insurance on my business.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
So if they are a private company and installing such things as wires and poles why dont they have to have insurance on it then and then if its hit by hurricane then turn it over to the insurance company??I don't know there business but i have to have insurance on my business.
I can't imagine an insurance company willing to insure the potential damage they could have from a hurricane.

Most businesses are under one roof or so. Imagine if your business crisscrossed the panhandle.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,558 Posts
Companies look at the US populations like the Matrix looked at humans. We are here to supply them with power and money.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Did the same thing after Ivan. Don't remember if the additional charge was removed or not after 5 years. I doubt it.
God forbid Gulp Power spends money after a hurricane. They still raked in millions of dollars profit after the fact.
The local Crist plant is going 100% natural gas after we were stuck paying for the 500 million dollar scrubber to meet coal burning emissions a few years ago.

Monopolies suck and the FPSC is in the back pocket.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Did the same thing after Ivan. Don't remember if the additional charge was removed or not after 5 years. I doubt it.
God forbid Gulp Power spends money after a hurricane. They still raked in millions of dollars profit after the fact.
The local Crist plant is going 100% natural gas after we were stuck paying for the 500 million dollar scrubber to meet coal burning emissions a few years ago.

Monopolies suck and the FPSC is in the back pocket.
1) Gulf Power did the same thing after Ivan, and yes they removed the fee per the PSC ruling.
2) Gulf Power is self-insured.
3) Gulf Power was so cash starved that it was no longer profitable for Southern Company to own, so it was sold to NextEra.
4) The 500 Million Dollar scrubber was mandated by our wonderful and awesome governor at the time: Charlie Crist (Gulf was FORCED to install this equipment, or have to totally shut down their coal fired units.)
5) Even with the Hurricane Recovery fee, our rates as Gulf Power customers are STILL going to be cheaper now, under NextEra ownership, than they ever were under Southern Company.
6) If you think the PSC "sucks" remember this: the PSC works for YOU! Check out their web site - I can guarantee that if you post a complaint, that it WILL land on someones desk and that they WILL be forced to investigate your claim.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just think how expensive your telephone, internet and cell phone would be would be if the PSC did not require Gulf Power and other utilities to provide space for free on power poles for cable, telephone, fiber optic (backhaul for cell sites and major internet) and any other utility.

All those companies benefit from system hardening. For free, basically.

And, Gulf isn’t a monopoly. You can start your own utility and compete right beside it, customer for customer. Except in cities, where Gulf pays for the exclusive privilege. Destin recently considered terminating the Guif franchise, read up on it. Even Destin couldn’t afford to compete because of the massive system costs that were necessary.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Basic economic principle:

If the cost of a product rises to a point exceeding your tolerance level, figure out ways to use less of that product. Look around at the stuff that uses the most electricity in your home and consider how much of it was not even available to your parents and grandparents.

Of course it is understood that if you are married, and wish to remain so, there are multiple tolerance points that factor into your overall tolerance equation. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Our local co-op (CHELCO) has been sending out checks this week. I just got a $30.00 one.
I had CHELCO when I lived on the south end and we have it in Baker. I really like them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts