Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to try and figure these boogers out I've been reading up on flounder.
The very first thing I read was there is a Gulf and Southern flounder. The difference being mostly in shape with the southern flounder being more round than its cousin. Then I started flipping back thru my pics and looking at some of the fish. All of the door mats were longer and some of the smaller ones were in fact more round. Does all of these sound correct?
I know all of the gulf flounder go offshore to spawn in the winter, but were do the southern flounder go?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The southern's go to the gulf also. The easiest way to tell yhe difference is the color. Southerns tend to be mostly all brown and the gulfs have three spots in a triangle shape and can vary in color depending on the bottom they're on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There are actually 3

Southern,Summer and gulf. The Summer usually gets mistaken for the gulf especially if they are less. Than 5 lbs. If you can barely make the fish out because it has blended in so well it's probably a Summer also their eys are on the left side of the head.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Southern,Summer and gulf. The Summer usually gets mistaken for the gulf especially if they are less. Than 5 lbs. If you can barely make the fish out because it has blended in so well it's probably a Summer also their eys are on the left side of the head.
WRONG! All three have eyes on same side and all can blend in equally with surroundings.:no:

·
Banned
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't doubt he correct but merely the manner in which he communicates it. You'd think the poor guy had insulted him personally.

·
Registered
199 Posts
this is what happens when everyones couped up, cabin fever, lol things will get to stabbing again O- yeah Roll Tide back at you Terry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.