Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to Florida with the military. Grew up fishing the rivers and streams of the Rockies so it’s a whole different type of fishing.
What are some suggested set ups for rod and reel for some in shore fishing. I live in the Bluewater Bay Area.

any and all suggestions appreciated. Just trying to get my kids involved.

thanks

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Welcome aboard. Bluewater or Blackwater Bay area?

A 7- to 7'6" ML rod with 3000 class spinning reel with 10-pound braid will handle most any inshore target, including redfish, trout, flounder, Spanish macks, etc. There are a variety of live/dead baits, plus realistic fake imitations that will work. Shrimp, finger mullet and pinfish are the prime forage.

Good luck and thanks for your service. Enjoy your time here.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
I would just get a decent combo with a Penn Battle or Fierce 3000 reel. I have gotten by for years with a two 3000 reels, and a 6000 for surf fishing, and some trolling or laying out bigger live baits.. Now that I have a boat I picked up a couple of TLD 30's for some light trolling/bottom fishing.

Get a cast net so you can get your own bait (mullet, pinfish, LYs). With my kids I like to use live baits because they can't really work an artificial yet

· Registered
15,628 Posts
Welcome Aboard!!
I assume you are referring to "inshore fishing" from a boat, correct.
Noting that you are a mountain boy, just wanted to make sure for are not referencing fishing from the "on shore" aka shore line

1 - 7 of 7 Posts