Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend after launching to respond to a barge load of timbers on fire over by I 10 apparently the boat was loaded inapropiatly and caught a wave on the gunnel and capsized. No one was hurt. The boat which was really the only assest like that to respond to a fire in the bay was a total loss. The Coast Gaurd may have something like that but they don't respond as quickly or so it seems to me.

Sorry the picture processer and spell check seem to be down. I'll post the pics as soon as it'll let me.:hoppingmad

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Breeze Fabricators (12/23/2007)Last weekend after launching to respond to a barge load of timbers on fire over by I 10 apparently the boat was loaded inappropiatly and caught a wave on the gunnel and capsized. No one was hurt. The boat which was really the only assest like that to respond to a fire in the bay was a total loss. The Coast Gaurd may have something like that but they don't respond as quickly or so it seems to me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Is it just me or does that thing appear to have a yamaha on the right and a merc on the left? Not to mention the different sizes.....?

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,169 Posts
Looks to me like an old merc cowling stuck over the starboard Yamaha. Glad nobody was hurt. Sea-r-cy

·
Registered
390 Posts
It is too bad, and very fortunate the nobody was hurt. I hope a certain officer with GBVFD will now realize that, just because he is a firefighter, a small craft advisory means that small craft, such as the now destroyed boat, should not be launched in those conditions. Those were new motors, new lights, and new electronics.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
was the vessel insured? also....i'm not familiar with how volunteer firefighter gear is paid for......donations? fund raising? tax money?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Looks like if it capsized, it bounced off the bottom, tearing off the t top and the center console.

So, was the barge load of timbers really on fire?

I'm pretty sure the CG took the fire fighting monitor off the 41 ftrs, many years ago., though they still have a fire pump and hoses onboard.

My experiences with boat fires is that you pick the people up outta the water, cause not much is usually left of the boat after 15 or so minutes, specially with gas and fiberglass.

BillD

·
Registered
425 Posts
Went to a boat fire down in Navarre back in 84' while I was a "coastie". The P'cola Beach Fire Department had just started using their "new" fire boat. In a hurry to get to the fire before us coasties they forgot about navigating...they ran aground on Big Sabine Point...or I should say ran onto the beach..high and dry. We went on to Navarre and plucked the people from the water and returned to tow the beach fire boat off the beach. Talking about being embarrassed.:banghead Just goes to show bad things can happen even to the good guys.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
it's pretty tough to capsize a Whaler. they must have had the load waaaay out of proportion.

Tim, just an FYI, the NAS Pensacola Fire Dept has a twin powered Whaler set up as well. I've got several friends that are Chiefs at the base houses and used to know several of the boat and dive teams but I'm not sure who isrunning it now.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Nice boat for sure. where I work all we got is a freakinzodiac and jet ski. Oh yeah, had an incident several years ago with the jet ski. I guess somebody was about to jump from the canal bridge so they launched the jet ski in the canal, but instead of backing up just enough to get the ski off, they put the whole package in the water. Ol' truck went to Davy Jones locker.

·
Registered
706 Posts
They were probably looking to get a new boat anyway, end of year budget. I also noticed the different HP motors. That is kinda odd, something sound a little fishy about that deal.

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
They are matched Yamahas. The Merc you see on the right is just the cowing (sp). Also, the boat went down in 5 foot of water at the end of Shorline launch. Caught a wave, flipped, waves pounded the boat upside down against the bottom. 5 on board swam back to shore. T-Top is fine...just tore out the floor. Hull is fine.

·
Capt Dickhead
1,225 Posts
Boat fire by I-10, boat launched at shoreline?? Looks like somebody needed a yammy cowling too!! I see some new training courses in the future!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
They were launching at Wayside Park. As they were pulling out of the launch a few waves hit one right after the other. By the way it seems, the boat had a little too much water over the stern and started listing then the wind...which was howling...caught the T-Top and finished rolling the boat into a non recoverable roll. The deck where the t-top is mounted is torn up, other than that the fiberglass damage wasn't "TOO" bad. Everything seemed fine(other than major water damage)until the boat got pushed into a little deeper water and completely flipped upside down then you could feel the t-top pulling everything apart as it bounced on the bottom. As was said, nobody got hurt though. The motors are both 150 Yams. The Merc cowling was just put on there buy whoever took the pic. The other cowling and a hand full of other belongings were recovered the next morning.

Just as a note...I WAS NOT on the boat when it allstarted goingbad. I responded, along with MANY others when we got the additional call that the boat had capsized.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts