Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been mulling this over for a few days and just can't get it off my brain. Tell me if I'm being crazy. I am working at home these days and am usually finished by early afternoon, therefore I've been taking the boat out 3-4 days a week in the afternoons to do a little fishing. I live in Pensacola but launch from Shoreline since is closest to my fishing grounds. Every time I go, I stop at GBB&T and get 2-3 dozen shrimp. Stopped in Wednesday as usual and went in. I am very good about wearing my mask even though I hate the damn thing but on this day I was in a hurry due to meeting someone at the ramp and I was running late. Took my bucket up front and the guy behind the counter said, no live bait. I said ok and started heading to the frozen section. As I was walking away he said, maybe if you wore a mask in here we could find you some. I laughed and said, sorry, in a hurry and forgot it in the truck. Now I had been in there a few days before and as has been the case every time I've been in recently, except this day, all of the young guys working in there and most customers did not have masks on. I got some frozen shrimp and a few things, paid $37 and left.

Now they are never very friendly there and I don't really care but for some reason this has stuck in my craw. I've now decided that I'm not going in there anymore, I'll make the drive over to Outcast from now on. They always have live bait and are always very friendly and actually helpful instead of just standing around behind the counter. Am I overreacting? I just know that if that guy worked for me and he spoke to a customer that way he'd be reprimanded at the very least. I don't know, maybe I've become a grumpy old man, lol. I was definitely in the wrong and should have had my mask on, it clearly states it on the door but I think a "sir, sorry but we require masks here" in a little better tone would be more appropriate and they wouldn't have lost the $100 a week that I spent there.

What do y'all think?

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,983 Posts
Doomer at the register that day.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I don't see a problem that you want to be treated as a welcome customer. If I was not treated as welcomed and thanked afterward, I would be looking also. It's respect that's earned both ways!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Your money, your rights! Attitude goes a long way with me. I spend where I want. I might of struck up a conversation with whomever was in charge, hopefully not him. Follow your gut.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Boomshaka, at the time it just didn't register with me that he was being a little prick and normally I would have done just that. Nothing worse than mouthy little punks in this world. Hopefully the owner sees this and makes some changes.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,807 Posts
Don't let one person determine weather you go into any establishment. Now if it happens 3 times with 3 different people then speak your mind to the manager/owner.

·
Super Moderator
12,781 Posts
I've never had a problem a GBBT, nice guys and gals up there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts
Gulf Breeze is Gulf Breeze and Good employees are hard to come by. Young folks today are not the best at Customer Service unless properly trained. Young folks and manners / respect seem to be opposites. You will find the same thing just about anywhere. (Except Publix or Chik-fil-a.)

·
Super Moderator
19,832 Posts
I’ve always been treated fair in there but have seen what you’re talking about with some of the younger employees over the years. But unfortunately that happens most everywhere. Saying that I’ve maybe been in there 10-15 times in my life.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed. And I also agree that one person shouldn't make you stop going. Honestly though, I never have liked the place, I only went there out of convenience. Like I said earlier, you can roam the isles all day and never does anyone offer to help find anything. Go to Outcast or J&M (my favorite) in Orange Beach and they are offering help the second you come in the door. Good customer service is hard to find these days.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Spoken like someone in the clique 😁
I'm not in the clique, me being such an old grumpy fart, but I've never had a problem in GBBT. I've had them come out from behind the counter to help me find something...by just asking if they had something , like a leader straightener ( even though I wound up showing the young guy where they were, since I spotted it first.) or helped me look for close to 10 minutes for a patch needle for repairing cast nets.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I’ve been shopping there over 30 years. Several times a week in the summer. I could shop with my eyes closed. I spend loads of money in there. The people aren’t pleasant, and never have been, they are nearly always out of bait, certainly live bait. I don’t ask for help, because I don’t want it from them. Every so often there’s a young female working who’s not only pleasant to look at but also has a pleasant personality. If there was an alternative for me I’d use it. Whenever I pass outcast I load up on frozen bait. I treat it like going to the DMV, a necessary evil.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Back in the 80's Mike Flowers worked there. He would get us talking about fishing by giving us pointers and advice that would get us spooled up (eager) to go fishing. He never met a stranger and would share tips freely not like trying to keep great advice a secret. He actually taught me how to tie my first leader. Your right, you just can't find that anymore.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts