Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Three of us are turning 40 in March so we used this opportunity as a kitchen pass from the wives for an extended weekend get away. The wives agreed that we needed some man time to celebrate. When one of the other guys heading “over the hill” with me mentioned he would like to a take trip to the gulf to do some fishing, it didn’t take long for me to agree. Quickly, there were 7 of us committed, with a plan of Fishing, relaxing, eating, and fishing. I was the only one with Surf Fishing experience, and that was a trip last June when I caught the “fever”. Since then I have been consumed with learning all I can about how to get better. We settled on these dates strictly because it fit in well with everyone’s schedule. I didn’t know what to expect with winter fishing, but as I read past reports on here, and looked at other resources, I started getting really excited about the prospects of hauling in some bull Reds and Black Drum. It also looked like we may find some pompano and Whiting.

We had a couple of less than desirable days, Heavy wind, Flat Surf, and pretty cold mornings, but we had a great time and caught fish. Everyone wants to make this an annual trip. We caught several Pompano, Whiting, Hardheads (of course), 1 Black Drum (22+ Pound), 2 Bull Reds (38” & 40”), and a couple of fish that I had to look up to try to ID (Croaker, and a slippery dick). All fish except the Reds were caught on Fresh Dead Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp, and Fishbites but the reds ate Mullet heads we bought at Sam’s. I think I have added 6 new Surf Fisherman to the community!

Huge Shout out to Chris V!!! :notworthy::notworthy:
We went to visit with Him on Friday afternoon and man that dude is a solid guy who knows his stuff. I felt like a school girl or maybe a stalker introducing myself to him as someone who follows him on the message boards :wacko: . His advice was spot-on. I told him we would like to try to target Bull Reds, and he not only gave me leader and bait advice, but gave me a couple of locations to try. Saturday morning (2/27) using his advice I landed a 38” Bull Red and marked that off my bucket list. My brother in law bested me and landed a 40” stud Saturday night. Again Thanks Chris, I believe your advice is the only Reason we were able to catch those two fish.Your advice about smaller hooks on our drop rigs for smaller fish also increased our hook up rate and allowed everyone in our group to catch more fish.

This report has been long, and if you’re still reading I appreciate it. All in all it was a great trip and I can not wait to get back down there on June 4’th. Tight lines everyone!!!!!

cole bull red.jpg

Tux Bull Red.jpg

pete black drum.jpg

cole pomp.jpg

night beach.jpg

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Thanks for not posting any pics of your slippery dick. Gotta be careful with those during spring break. Of course nice fish you guys caught. Only gonna get better the next few weeks.

sent from somewhere your not

·
Registered
540 Posts
Turning 40! Humph. Still young punks. You got 30 years fishin' to do before any "over the hill." Pull up your Supermans and get back to work......er.....fishin'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts