Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The grunt call I have, and ones I've heard others use, sound very different than the few actual grunts I've heard from deer. The grunt calls sound HUGE, like a freakin monster buck. Is there a call that sounds more like an actual sized Florida deer? Seems like if you had a grunt call that sounded like a little buck, a big buck would jump out to whip juniors azz, maybe.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Honestly I never use a grunt call in BW. Only call I use is the Primos Can. I have had success with that quite a bit. I seem like a scare more deer with a grunt call than pull in. Now the can. I have had them come in hot to that. Nose to the ground everything. Only grunt I do is when I shoot or the occasional fart :thumbsup:

Reactions: grouper22

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm curious about, are the monster stud grunts just scaring everything more than doing what they're intended to do?

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
That's what I'm curious about, are the monster stud grunts just scaring everything more than doing what they're intended to do?
I think you are correct. I've had good success with the fast following grunt but never the big bellow - but I have heard bucks here do it

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I don't think so. I just think the buck to do ratio is so out of wack and most bucks that we grunt at not being dominate bucks I think they just tend to shy away. Just like calling coyotes and using mating calls. You hit a male challenge bark usually the only guy that will come in running is a dominate male. Now if you through some hot tail out there you might have more respond. Just how I look at it. These bucks have so much tail to chase that I honestly think they don't even spar that much. I'm speaking about BW. I don't know about Escambia.

That 6 point I shot last year. Right after I hit the can he came in and made a huge bellow grunt/ growl. They do it. But these bucks don't have competition. Think of it like this. You and a guy you hate get thrown in the room with 15 girls. You won't fight you will chase the girls. (granted speaking single here) Now you throw one girl in there and you and a guy you hate then there will be competition. (buck to doe ratio). Now a lady looks at you and asks you to come over. Generally the male will walk over (estrous can call). How I relate it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have a flextone 3 in 1 has dominant buck...young buck...and fawn bleat. I've tried both buck grunts in every way imaginable with no luck. Roll that estrous can a few times every 15-30 mins and I've had two come right on in.
I've tried light rattling early season nothing there either.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I only use a soft young buck grunt and add the doe in a can as a combo. Our deer aren't huge around here so I never use an aggressive deep grunt. You want to find a happy medium between young and mature buck. I feel too mature and they scare but too young and they don't care.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
I have an adjustable grunt tube. It has helped kill many bucks out of blackwater. Got a box of antlers a few have seen. Most of the time it is not a drawn out grunt just a few quick hits. I use it from bow season all the way through

somewhere in a tree

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Thr true talker series grunts work real well. Especially the old all rubber model with the moveable bands. Its designed like an actual esophagus of an animal. You can hit a soft buzzing style grunt rather than a dominate buck. Ive seen alot and killed a couple coming right to it especially after using a can call with it. Most bucks ive seen and heard grunting sound more like a thick buzzing noise rather than a grunt.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I picked up the Primos Buck Roar at Clearance at Wal-Mart a couple years ago, and I have called in several bucks. It makes a very realistic grunt, but last year, I could hear several deer chasing around me, but they wouldn't step out. I let out a long, growly roar with that call, and this little 8-point stepped out all bowed up at about 40 yards. He had a hot doe with him, but unfortunately, he didn't have any time to enjoy her company before I dirt-napped him.

I think the more aggressive, deeper, longer grunts are more effective during the chasing phase of the rut, and earlier in the season I use a medium buck grunt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts