Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever trolled for grouper? What lures and techniques dothose of youthat do it have luck with? I was trolling back in for kings last october and caught an undersized grouper about 2 or 3 miles outside of the pass in destin on a stretch 25, This was a first for me and figured it might be a fun way to catch some of them. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I have caught a couple trolling by accident. Seems you need to be bouncing the bottom. I picked them up using a +25. Mine were keepers in the PC bay.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think people troll for them pretty regularly over near Apalachicola. That may have something to do with habitat and not technique, though.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
A lot of people troll the bay for groupers.What about at the edge?

Is it possible with a downrigger to get a bait down 150-200 ft over natural bottom with a downrigger and target grouper while trolling?

I have pulled amberjack off a wreck trolling a bait on a downrigger at 100ft, buthave not caught a grouper trolling at any depth to speak of.

Is it possible and or is someone actively doing it?

Mark W

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
When I was chartering, I ran at least 100 Grouper trolling trips per year. Of course, this was off Crystal River. a totally different habitat from what you have up there.

I regularly caught Grouper trolling in the bay at Pensacola when I chartered out of there but not like I catch down here.

The Mann's Stretch 40 on 50# power-Pro will get down 50' with 200 feet of line out. Grouper will come up 20 feet or more to eat a plug and, of course, you will catch AJs.

I've trolled a 14# fish weight on my bandits (with wire) in 150' and loaded up on Grouper down here. I never tried it on the Trysler Grounds but I'll bet I could catch them there. The object of the game is to troll known spots, especially where they are bunched to where you can circle and hit 3-4 rocks in each circle.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,443 Posts
In past years I've caught quite a few off Ft Pickens on the sound side with Stretch 30's. But it's not much fun, as soon as they hit the plug they seem to pop right to the surface and you just winch em in.

Jim

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
"I've trolled a 14# fish weight on my bandits (with wire) in 150' and loaded up on Grouper down here. I never tried it on the Trysler Grounds but I'll bet I could catch them there. The object of the game is to troll known spots, especially where they are bunched to where you can circle and hit 3-4 rocks in each circle. "

Capt Ken,

Thanks for the post.I have often thought that if you could get a bait down deep enough over the natural bottom areas off Pensacolathat you could troll up grouper.

Mark W

·
Registered
209 Posts
some of the older wiser fishermen i know trolled for grouper using a big jig(6oz and up).

tip it with what you like and bump it along the bottom.

PLUS a jig is cheap. or cheaper than lures

1 - 9 of 9 Posts