Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hoppingmad So i've heard the rumors and the technics. But i have never seen any of the pictures or heard any confirmed catches. And I myself have never caught one. But that will soon change i hope! So i wanted to start a thread where you could show off your pics, recent or old, of grouper in the Intercoastal. Please add some technics and tricks that you have hadluck with as well. Diesel 84 and i need some motivation to go out and catcha beautiful fish.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Sure Kenton,

After those great 3 mile stories, Heck ya, there's grouper around deep structure in the intercoastal.

Here's just one and you can see the Mann Stretch that this Gag couldn't pass up.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
when we moved here in 2000, i set crab traps out off the dock...one on each side...checked on them later to find stone crabs and a 15" gag in each...course i released the fish...

·
Registered
522 Posts
:banghead Yeah me and kenton have caught plenty of reds now. Time for a different kind of fish. Grouper. I just hope you can catch them at night like we do with the reds. That is the only time we fish because I work from 6am to 4pm 6 days a week. Anobody fish for grouper at night??

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Look at my avatar. That is one of the 4 grouper we caught 2 years ago in the bay and ICW. That picture is of the one my son caught.

·
Registered
130 Posts
While sheephead fishing at a bridge on the sound ,I saw a huge,gag probaly15-20 lbs swimming around the sheephead. I am now a believer. there are gags in the sound.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I have caught many of grouper in the bay, And In the Pass,I troll for them about a couple hundred yards off of Ft Picken's beach with D.D lure's starting from the Old G.G St to about the Pier and have caught some at the 3 mile Bridge In My Exp I seem to catch more during the winter ,but have also caught some in the middle Of Summer,In fact the biggest one I have seen was many years ago when I use to dive a lot and It was at the 3 mile bridge It had to have gone 60lbs or better scared The H___ out of me was not looking for something that big This Is a Picture of one Very small guy I caught about a month or so ago at The Bridge Where there aresmall one's there are even bigger one's

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Attachments

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much for the great advice everyone. Im pumped up to get out there and try my hand at Gags now. Tight lines to everyone and i hope the weather clears up soon for you all as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am thanking everyone too. There have been a lot of grouper at three mile. You can put in at 17th and fish 3 mile then run down to Perdido. Good luck and let us know what you catch!

David Craver

·
Registered
386 Posts
ive cuaght a ton of little 10 inch grouper around the hump at three mile live shrimp on bottom

where theres a baby theres a mommy good luck Garett

·
Registered
264 Posts
NO GROUPER IN THE BAY?!?! Then I guess I am catching something else over under the carrier pier on NAS Pensacola. we catch em all the time there.

17 Ft Cape Horn

115 hp saltwater series yamaha

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey DID YOU ALL here about the new species of Grouper found in Pensacola bay?!?!?!?! You can only catch them when you have more than one person fishing for them. they tangle you lines up with each other everytime you hook em. Their latin name is (manus grouperous annoyous) other wise known as the man grouper. ( its that guy you always end up having on your boat that manages to tangle his lines with everyone else you are fishing with.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Eric:

I have a comment and question: Thanks for reporting and great pics. Question RE: "I catch tons of grouper in the bay. It will be much better in Jan. and Feb. when it is colder. I do well on 4-6" live mullet and pigfish as well as 2oz white bucktails. Bottom structure in 25-45ft of water. I don't troll. Lock down your drag."

When you say "tons", please describe number of grouper per unit of time fishing for them? Where do you get live pigfish and finger mullet in Jan. and Feb? How do you catch this bait and where do you find them? Do you fish any deep locations in the ICW or do you find structure first: find a dumped car, concrete, refrigerator, boat in the ICW? I would love to know your "honey holes" but respect that privacy!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts