Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat through a couple hours of wind and rain at crooked island but it was worth it.
Did nothing but toss silly willies at the shallows all day. Got a nice mess of whiting, most in the 13 to 15 inch range
Also caught some fat pomps a blue and a surprise trout (17 inch). First one of them I've landed in the inlet, must have gotten lost.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Man, heck of a catch in some foul weather. I chickened out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sat through a couple hours of wind and rain at crooked island but it was worth it.
Did nothing but toss silly willies at the shallows all day. Got a nice mess of whiting, most in the 13 to 15 inch range
Also caught some fat pomps a blue and a surprise trout (17 inch). First one of them I've landed in the inlet, must have gotten lost.
Ok dumb question of the day..what are Silly Willies ?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Do you catch most of your fish on the jig or fly?
60/40 fly/jigs. Every day is different. It's king of hard to say but that is my best guess.
A lot of times the hook that is not the one they hit ends up stuck in them during the fight. A little extra help I suppose.
Some days they like them jigged hard other days just twitched. But they always work good retrieving them slow and keeping them close to the bottom. Many times I'll pause for a few seconds and will get hit while its stationary, kind of the same as trout fishing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts