Super Moderator
30,340 Posts
Sweet!!!! Gotta hit up the bay soon!!!!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Live bait, sight fishing, gulf.
the key is to get around the school quietly. Keep the fish calm. If they’re rolling they’re calm. Get ahead, 75 yards or so. Get three baits out to them. One behind the boat, one to each side. Using your trolling motor, slow the boat to match their speed. Ease the baits into them. Use your trolling motor to move in and offshore to stay ahead of them. When you feel the weight of the fish start reeling, get ready for the jump and point the rod tip at them every jump. Like a cobia they store energy. It takes some time to be able to handle them. Make sure you take the time to revive them properly.
when they get boat side or you can see them…pull the rod tip towards the tail fight against the direction they’re trying to swim. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
30,340 Posts
Had hook ups in past and it's awesome to see em sky....never brought 1 to the boat fer a release so maybe this year is my year!!!

Reactions: huntnflorida

·
Registered
656 Posts
Great report and nice job. Tarpon are the premier inshore game fish, IMO. I guided for them for 14 years to the east, mostly on fly. But a well-placed DOA BaitBuster or soft Sebile Magic Swimmer will fool 'em, too.

My technical poling skiff is limited for beach fishing these days. Goal is to dial 'em in for the bays.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great report and nice job. Tarpon are the premier inshore game fish, IMO. I guided for them for 14 years to the east, mostly on fly. But a well-placed DOA BaitBuster or soft Sebile Magic Swimmer will fool 'em, too.

My technical poling skiff is limited for beach fishing these days. Goal is to dial 'em in for the bays.
What’s the magic color for those lures?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Black back, silver belly or pearl/red head on the BaitBusters with the heavier versions to cast better. FYI, those are also great snook baits. Green/holo for the jointed Magic Swimmers with several slide-on chin weights over the hook shank (comes in the package). They are hard to find. Tackle Direct carries the MS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts