Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the last gun hunt on the WMA could not have been any better, but had my doubts at 1st. The road to thestand I wanted to go to was under water. I had to hurry back to camp, grab another stand and try and get someplace else before daylight. I decided to hunt an old railroad grade near some planted pines. It was very foggy that morning, and around 8am I spotted a big doe slipping out of the pines...I watched her a little bit but she had no company...I decided to take her and took the shot, she ran about 50 yards and piled up. I decided to sit tight for a bit and about 15 minutes later, I see a deer scoot across the RR grade and then see horns as he eased along the grade away from me. I must say he looked a lot bigger than he was, but still pretty nice for WMA...15 inch inside spread and decent mass. I made a good shot at @80 yards quartering away from me. Took a while to find blood, but he only went 40 yards into the small pines and crashed.

Saturday afternoon I hunted the edge of an oak ridge next to a big swamp. The wind was blowing pretty hard, but let up some around 4:15 or so. At 4:50 I see movement way across the oak ridge...a nice size deer is crossing the ridge coming straight atme. As he gets closer I see pretty nice horns and he stopped several times to rub trees as he slowly kept walking STRAIGHT towards my stand. The only shot I had was a chest shot so I just waited for a better shot...I must say I got pretty tore up watching him coming down the ridgeand rubbing trees as he closed the distance to my tree. He finally broke left a little at only 30-40 yards, stopped and began tearing up some bushes. I shot him right behind the head and dropped him in his tracks...even had a hole through the ear from the shot...I didn't want to chance not finding him as it was getting pretty dark and supposed to rain, so took the neck shot...so everything worked outfor one of the best WMA hunts ever for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dang! What a year for you Andy....Congrats! Looks like a lot better bucks coming out of Blue Springs now then when I hunted there with you guys....Way to end the season!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blue Spring WMA is just north of Blackwater in the Conecuh National Forest (the 2 forests back up to each other on the AL/FL line)...you can hunt the Forest land too, but the deer are a bit more scattered there...not bad public land close to Pensacola. I have hunted there for a lot of years...

·
Registered
96 Posts
nice job on the 2 bucks .i was over there for the dogs hunts with some friends and we killed some deer.i have lost or misplaced my camera:takephoto

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
those are some really nice public land deer. heck theyre bigger than anything ive seen on my AL lease this year! congrats on some nice bucks

·
Super Moderator
28,495 Posts
Dern....everyone is killing em!!! Glad you had a great hunt!!!:letsdrink:letsdrink:letsdrink

1 - 16 of 16 Posts