Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking them out, hoping it will make the deer move better during shooting hours.

Trying to decide if I want any spinner feeders. If I do, they will be very limited.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
I'm not some great white hunter or anything but it's my opinion that mature bucks will not get killed with any regularity over feeders (and the majority of the ones that do will be during the rut looking for does)...

Get rid of them feeders!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I'm not some great white hunter or anything but it's my opinion that mature bucks will not get killed with any regularity over feeders (and the majority of the ones that do will be during the rut looking for does)...

Get rid of them feeders!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I've had them come in to feeders but in a very low pressure area.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will probably have one or two, well away from any stands and away from the buck woods.

·
Praedator
9,972 Posts
I've been a guest at a Walnut Hill club managed for very mature bucks. When those feeders go off, it's a dinner Bell and they come running! But their pressure is low and they've been doing it for 15+ years. Three of the bucks on my wall came from there and shot at a feeder!

Feeders can be useful to keep deer around. But hunt off of them if your wanting a big buck. They will wait till you climb down if they know your hunting over it. They stage themselves in the thick stuff till after dark!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to try some summer plots. Iron Clay peas and maybe sunflowers or something.

Try and plant them this week and disc them under in late September.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
On small plots, if you've got many deer, you'll need something to keep them out of the peas until they leaf out. Otherwise, all your hard work will be gone in a night or two and you won't have to worry about discing them in.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really? The deer are thick around these small fields, saw 3 while breaking it up yesterday.

This is my first time planting summer plots. Relying on TP's expertise.

·
Praedator
9,972 Posts
Really? The deer are thick around these small fields, saw 3 while breaking it up yesterday.

This is my first time planting summer plots. Relying on TP's expertise.

We'll truly see how the deer density is! If it's really thick, like he said above, they can mow it down before they even leaf up and grow! But I think you have about the right deer density to let the plants grow enough. Being the first year you do it, they may get a taste and before you know it, in a few years you'll have more deer than you know what to do with! Summer plots do great at attracting deer from surrounding property and upping your density year round! And it gives them the necessary protein to grow when they really need it.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Don't forget your mineral sites. Hand scatter corn every so often instead of feeders. Put a few feeders in areas you really don't hunt much but can catch deer cruising in from a different area. Check on the white tape that these farmers are stringing up everywhere.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't forget your mineral sites.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Funny you mentioned that. I started mineral sites two years ago and today I went by one on the tractor. I thought about putting out some more this week but I can't remember the other location.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts