Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
<SPAN class=ArticleTitle>Grants available for Physh Ed </TD></TR><TR><TD><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation is trying to reconnect today's youth with the outdoors and nature through the Physh Ed National Fishing and Boating Grants Initiative, a partnership between RBFF and the Future Fisherman Foundation.<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><O:p></O:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Physh Ed provides grants to kindergarten through grade 12 teachers to implement fishing and boating in their physical education classes. For the 2008/2009 school year, the Foundation is offering grants of $2,500 to qualified PE teachers. Grant money can be used for fishing and boating equipment, field trips, curriculum materials and other resources to assist instructors in carrying out fishing, boating and conservation education. Grant recipients also receive a week of training in fishing and boating techniques. <O:p></O:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><O:p></O:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">"Physh Ed is an excellent way for school-aged youth to gain hands-on experiences with fishing and boating activities they can enjoy for a lifetime," said Anne Danielski, acting executive director of the Foundation, in a statement. "The school environment encourages the integration of the hands-on elements that fishing and boating lessons offer into other subject areas such as science and math."<O:p></O:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><O:p></O:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The goal for the upcoming school year is to engage more than 10,000 students nationwide to fishing and boating activities.<O:p></O:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><O:p></O:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Applications must be received by e-mail on or before Jan. 21 at <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:TIME Hour="17" Minute="0"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">5 p.m.</ST1:TIME><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> (EST). Applicants will be notified of the status of their grant applications by March 30.<O:p></O:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><O:p></O:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Visit www.futurefisherman.org or contact Anne Danielski at [email protected] or (703) 519-9691, Ext. 254.<O:p></O:p></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Praedator
10,009 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. But, I think it would be better suited to a Biology/Science class vs. PE. I know that the Senior Marine Biology class at my high school got to go scuba diving and that was a great time and gave kids the intrest in the outdoor marine environment.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
may work for HS, but I don't really see it working elswhere. My wife just started back teaching this year, 3rd grade. 1st, they don't have that much time in PE to begin with and 2nd, with all the FCAT and No Child Left Behind crap they do there isn't anytime for something that doesn't relate to those two programs.

Good idea though

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just read about it in a TradeOnly Publication and thought I would throw on here in case there were any Teachers or spouses of on here. With limited budgets of our school systems I thought someone might benefit.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cut and pasted the article, so this is all I know. If you're interested and have questions check the link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts