Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #243 (Edited)
Ok I have a list of about 5000 coordinates in kml format and need to put them on an SD card for a Lowrance, what do I need to do?
Convert them from kml to usr format with software like GPS babel, or easy gps, or GPS utils.

Best to convert to something that you can edit (like a spreadsheet), so you can edit all the extra stuff out of it and stick to site id, co-ordinates, and a brief description (if the unit supports descriptions), then write as USR on memory card..

Might start with a sample run, lets say 10 numbers you can check fairly easy. After that its just a volume issue.

·
Banned
47 Posts
What Redlegs said

I also use the spreadsheet software such as open office to sort by Lat or Long that way I can just delete all the co-ordinates that are too far south for my boat or too far east or west for me to get to easily. This reduces chart clutter.

Convert them from kml to usr format with software like GPS babel, or easy gps, or GPS utils.

Best to convert to something that you can edit (like a spreadsheet), so you can edit all the extra stuff out of it and stick to site id, co-ordinates, and a brief description (if the unit supports descriptions), then write as USR on memory card..

Might start with a sample run, lets say 10 numbers you can check fairly easy. After that its just a volume issue.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Guys, I used GPSbabel and got a code when I hit the button to transfer to USR, what the heck do I do to get it to a file? I uploaded my kml file and hit translate to USR but all I got was a code. I need something downloadable to an SD.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Guys, I used GPSbabel and got a code when I hit the button to transfer to USR, what the heck do I do to get it to a file? I uploaded my kml file and hit translate to USR but all I got was a code. I need something downloadable to an SD.
For specific software codes, you need to refer to the software's web site.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
I also use the spreadsheet software such as open office to sort by Lat or Long that way I can just delete all the co-ordinates that are too far south for my boat or too far east or west for me to get to easily. This reduces chart clutter.
Several ways to do the same thing. I use Google Earth to "view" where sites lay. Then delete them out of Google Earth before converting to intended data format. Can do the same in Mapsource, or blue water charts, etc..

Easier for me to visualize that way ..

·
Registered
364 Posts
I spent about 5 hours trying to login and find numbers on florida-offshore.com with no luck. It says the bluewater chart is restricted. I changed passwords, logins 5 times.

·
Registered
364 Posts
These are "buyer beware" numbers. Newer versions of these GPS waypoint lists have been published farther down in this thread

I've deleted posts that contain the earlier versions of the files that I've posted newer ones one..

Enjoy
There isn't a link. Was it deleted?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #252 (Edited)
241 - 253 of 253 Posts