Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dadwants a nice halnheld GPS for christmas and my mother and I do not know what kind weshould get him thatwill still be a nice GPS unit for a reasonable price we are wanting to pay somewhere around 100-300 for one.please inform me?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have always used the Garmin eTrex models and have never been disappointed. Prices vary, but the simple eTrex model at Walmart is like $90 or so, I just bought it about a month ago. It is the yellow one and I enjoy using it. Took it out opening weekend of muzzleloader season and it performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I second the Lowrance. Got one for Christmas last year and have used it for hunting, fishing and travel. I believe it has the largest screen of handheld models. 170-350 depending on the model.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The blue etrex legend is all you need. It's around 130 bucks and you can evendownload road maps and such on it. It's great for marking stands, crossings etc on it. When I hunt new areas I mark my truck to help me find my way out of the woods.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the yellow etrex and it is really basic. I have had it for a couple of years and it serves it's purpose but it is really nothing special. I would recommend something a little more advanced that has real-time readings. The basic etrex requires that you are moving to get a reading for direction and location. Some of the newer models will give you bearings and locations without moving. Nothing worse than finding a potential tree stand site, turning on the GPS, and then having to walk around to get a signal lock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts