Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Property taxes

I am lucky enough to have ownership of two properties in Florida although I am a legal resident of Louisiana. I do spend at this time about 70% of my time at my home in Louisiana where my work office is as well. My issue with the travel "ban" ( which this is attempting to be) is twofold :
1. It is totally unenforceable. There are a lot of backroads I can take that can get me into Florida w/o using I10 !

2. If I am basically being told I cannot use the properties that I outright own in Florida for a specific period of time, then I should not also be forced to pay property taxes for that same period of time ! This will be a legal issue for the state of Florida.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
I am lucky enough to have ownership of two properties in Florida although I am a legal resident of Louisiana. I do spend at this time about 70% of my time at my home in Louisiana where my work office is as well. My issue with the travel "ban" ( which this is attempting to be) is twofold :
1. It is totally unenforceable. There are a lot of backroads I can take that can get me into Florida w/o using I10 !

2. If I am basically being told I cannot use the properties that I outright own in Florida for a specific period of time, then I should not also be forced to pay property taxes for that same period of time ! This will be a legal issue for the state of Florida.

You are correct, I-10 and I-95 are the only place a check point exists.

2. If I am basically being told I cannot use the properties that I outright own in Florida for a specific period of time, then I should not also be forced to pay property taxes for that same period of time ! This will be a legal issue for the state of Florida

I have not seen where you are unable to use your property. Just that you have to "Self Quarantine" for 14 days when you come to Florida from Louisiana.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,173 Posts
Here's a cool but scary video about how something can spread...

PS there's been a roadblock into the keys for a few days now. Nobody but residents, delivery and employees.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Heh lsucole! Look at post #25 from Kingfish and he will let ya know what he really thinks of you coming to Florida.

·
Praedator
9,972 Posts
The US will explode with cases because this is the US and you cant make anyone do anything and everybody is looking out for themselves with barely a thought for their fellow man. Prove me wrong. The virus moves in people, stop the people-stop the virus. But there are just too many people that dont give a crap and even some that think it's made up...
Caring about others can be accomplished in this crazy times and apply common sense to the rule of law and respecting human rights as well!

I work in the DOD/Military and it's the same. One person craps their pants and everyone must wear a diaper! It's simply easier to restrict all than it is to restrict the disrespectful individuals. But we are witnessing what many people are willing to do/cooperate with for the sake of safety of others.

This is an extreme version but think of this. Someone thinks that more firearms in the hands of people and in homes makes the country a dangerous place and kills more people. So it's their mission to end gun ownership!!!!

Having a gun in the home will allow dumb idiots to cause harm. No doubt about that! But like it or not, we have the right to be dumb, ignorant people! That is the cost of freedom! Allowing a person that has no past criminal history or history of violence purchase a firearm is something we hold dear to our rights whether that person ends up shooting someone in cold blood!

With freedom, comes an assumed risk of certain aspects in our life we must endure! What I am finding out is that a lot of people in these times are willing to give up their freedom for some safety and follow "recommended" safety precautions limiting our freedom to move, freedom to purchase certain items, freedom to question government officials etc...

It's not something I take lightly! Do I wish that people should be allowed to party like it's 1999 right now, probably not! But it is up to you and your family to take precautions for yourself and your family. I'm sorry, if I go out to get essentials, wash my hands when entering my home, change clothes in the garage (yes, I am doing this because my wife is immune compromised), take a shower each time I come home, I will likely not spread it to my wife.

If someone chooses to not have this talk with their family members about spreading this stuff, it's not up to the government to save us! It's my responsibility to save me and my family! It's on you and your family to have these conversations! If I had a child that disobeyed my wishes to not go party on a beach during spring break, that child would be bared from my home and contact with me and my wife!

If that person gets infected and spreads it to the gas pump and the next person does not have good personal hygiene and spreads it to someone else, that's on them. Not the government.

Sorry, I look to no one including the government to save me or protect me from anything in this world. But more and more people want the government to do more. Do more they say! Force people to stay home! Force businesses to not allow people to come into their places of business. Force people having a baby to only have one person at the hospital. Force people with known health issues such as gallbladder issues to postpone their surgery because it's not killing them just yet! But it could change with the drop of a hat and be life threatening!

This is a strange time we are living in and I am not comfortable with the way that a majority of the populous is following blindly!

JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,857 Posts
It's not quite a military/DOD kneejerk type reaction in that with this virus, the "disrespectful" ones cant always be identified before they go off and infect someone else. I have ZERO concern that ANY of what is going on right now is any type of rehearsed attempt at taking away rights or liberties. I gotta say that anyone who can look at what is happening in New York and complain about what's being done here...to avoid that...is just reckless. Its unprecedented, for various reasons, but it is a dangerous virus for a wide swath of "at risk" folks.

Good hygiene is great, when practiced. You can be surgically clean walking back into the house but what about the stuff you just toted in? Who was coughing or sneezing all over that in the last 24 hours? Always something... we'll be a nation of germaphobes by the end of all this but I'm still hopeful for a snap back to normality sooner or later.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I'm still waiting for things to return to "normal" after 9/11.
I'm pretty confident that what we considered normal as little as 3 weeks ago, is gone. No crisis of this level, or the measures implemented to control it, ever ends.
Just my $0.02 worth of experience. :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
Caring about others can be accomplished in this crazy times and apply common sense to the rule of law and respecting human rights as well!

I work in the DOD/Military and it's the same. One person craps their pants and everyone must wear a diaper! It's simply easier to restrict all than it is to restrict the disrespectful individuals. But we are witnessing what many people are willing to do/cooperate with for the sake of safety of others.

This is an extreme version but think of this. Someone thinks that more firearms in the hands of people and in homes makes the country a dangerous place and kills more people. So it's their mission to end gun ownership!!!!

Having a gun in the home will allow dumb idiots to cause harm. No doubt about that! But like it or not, we have the right to be dumb, ignorant people! That is the cost of freedom! Allowing a person that has no past criminal history or history of violence purchase a firearm is something we hold dear to our rights whether that person ends up shooting someone in cold blood!

With freedom, comes an assumed risk of certain aspects in our life we must endure! What I am finding out is that a lot of people in these times are willing to give up their freedom for some safety and follow "recommended" safety precautions limiting our freedom to move, freedom to purchase certain items, freedom to question government officials etc...

It's not something I take lightly! Do I wish that people should be allowed to party like it's 1999 right now, probably not! But it is up to you and your family to take precautions for yourself and your family. I'm sorry, if I go out to get essentials, wash my hands when entering my home, change clothes in the garage (yes, I am doing this because my wife is immune compromised), take a shower each time I come home, I will likely not spread it to my wife.

If someone chooses to not have this talk with their family members about spreading this stuff, it's not up to the government to save us! It's my responsibility to save me and my family! It's on you and your family to have these conversations! If I had a child that disobeyed my wishes to not go party on a beach during spring break, that child would be bared from my home and contact with me and my wife!

If that person gets infected and spreads it to the gas pump and the next person does not have good personal hygiene and spreads it to someone else, that's on them. Not the government.

Sorry, I look to no one including the government to save me or protect me from anything in this world. But more and more people want the government to do more. Do more they say! Force people to stay home! Force businesses to not allow people to come into their places of business. Force people having a baby to only have one person at the hospital. Force people with known health issues such as gallbladder issues to postpone their surgery because it's not killing them just yet! But it could change with the drop of a hat and be life threatening!

This is a strange time we are living in and I am not comfortable with the way that a majority of the populous is following blindly!

JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!
Do you get upset when people follow curfew restrictions after hurricanes or riots or mandatory evacuation orders too? America has NEVER been a "it's a free country and I can do anything I want" nation. Look back across history and you will see examples in every single decade of that evil big government/deep state telling citizens what can and can't happen.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Has any guidance been given on restriction of travel within FL, specifically from higher case rate areas to lower case rate areas such as the Panhandle?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Do you get upset when people follow curfew restrictions after hurricanes or riots or mandatory evacuation orders too? America has NEVER been a "it's a free country and I can do anything I want" nation. Look back across history and you will see examples in every single decade of that evil big government/deep state telling citizens what can and can't happen.
I think he was referring more to how quickly and easily people seem to be willing to just relinquish their freedoms to the government, or actually asking to have them taken away. It disturbs me, too. If you don't get that, then so be it, but I do.

·
Praedator
9,972 Posts
I think he was referring more to how quickly and easily people seem to be willing to just relinquish their freedoms to the government, or actually asking to have them taken away. It disturbs me, too. If you don't get that, then so be it, but I do.
Ding Ding, we have a winner! People are shaming anyone that questions authority one bit right now! That's a scary thought to me! If we are not free to question actions taken by our government, then I really feel for the USA in the near future!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Read what you cut and pasted. State decision. Feds are not limiting movement...the "several States" are doing it.
Federal law trumps state law. States cannot create a law or ordinance which eliminates someone's constitutional rights. This is why so many have a problem with sanctuary cities, states are openly ignoring Federal law. It's sad to me how so many who vote conservatively, are now so willing to let their freedoms go.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts