Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Gov shutting down travel to panhandle

8K views 58 replies 31 participants last post by  photofishin 
#1 ·
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WKRG/ASSOCIATED PRESS) –Governor Ron DeSantis said during his daily briefing Friday that checkpoints will be set up at state lines in Florida, limiting travel from covid-19 hot spots like Louisiana. Commercial vehicles would be allowed to move freely. DeSantis said that vacation rentals will also be suspended for two weeks, “if you’re coming from one of the epicenters, we probably think you should obey the directions of your state and local officials. And if they are telling you to shelter in place do that but don’t come here.” DeSantis says panhandle communities have relatively low numbers of cases and they want to keep it that way.
The Governor said this is an effort to prevent people from traveling to Florida to escape other “hot spots” of the coronavirus.

#3 ·
You do realize that Florida has more cases than Louisiana? This is stupid.

#5 ·
He's not going to stop shit with his little road blocks. He invited all the spring breakers, it's there. If the numbers spike in Florida, it's not gonna be because of some ******** blockade running. It's gonna be all them idiots from all over that came in a month ago.

Reactions: lsucole and jack2
#8 ·

#12 · (Edited)
Interesting. Since the order to shut down the beach in Okaloosa, the webcam at the Boardwalk seemed to be positioned at the hotel beachfront next to it.
There were a couple dozen on the beach behind the hotel, beach chairs next to each other and the beach bar was open.
Nobody around yesterday. Probably sent them back to wherever they came from to infect others.
Seems to be a select virus too, mainly infecting liberals and yankees.

Plus OP forgot to include this:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis ordered Friday that anyone arriving in the state from Louisiana must self-quarantine like those arriving from New York already must because of the coronavirus pandemic.

DeSantis said he is expanding his quarantine order to include Louisiana after officials in the lightly hit Panhandle worried that people will flee New Orleans as the number of positive tests there climb. DeSantis said the Florida Highway Patrol and sheriff’s offices will set up checkpoints to screen cars arriving from Louisiana.

The order will require anyone who arrives from Louisiana to isolate themselves for two weeks under the threat of a misdemeanor conviction and a 60-day jail sentence. He already issued this week identical restrictions on travelers arriving from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

#14 ·
The US will explode with cases because this is the US and you cant make anyone do anything and everybody is looking out for themselves with barely a thought for their fellow man. Prove me wrong. The virus moves in people, stop the people-stop the virus. But there are just too many people that dont give a crap and even some that think it's made up...

#18 ·
Should have quarantined the US when I laughingly mentioned it....Then WE wouldnt be going through this shit right now...Extreme conditions need extreme remedies/fixes....Is the checkpoint going to work..Hell no..but there will be a hell of alot more dui's jailed in escambia county...probably carrying corona.....Did they think about that scenario....can of worms there.....Twilight Zone guys....

#19 ·
At some point, we will reach the point where we are just going to have to live with this in the population just like any other virus or disease out there! Sorry, the government cannot keep you safe from this or any other disease! It's here to stay and be a part of cocktail of things in the wild that can get you!

I can promise you that from November to now, there have been a ton of people that probably had this and are now fine! My own three kids came down with something in January that kept them out of school for almost two weeks. They tested negative for the flu!!!!

I know many folks that were sick for 1-3 weeks with crap and it was flu negative. This was in January and February!

Cases are going to rise as more testing happens. And with that we are going to find that the death rate of this thing goes down with every positive test reported without a death!

Right now, the governments across the country are in a race to say they are taking care of you the best! I don't need no government to take care of me! Sick and elderly people are always at risk of all kinds of things! Nothing new here! The governments across this country are causing the economy to tank, jobs to be lost, and people to depend on government more and more! Scary times indeed!

#20 · (Edited)
I am more disturbed by how readily some people seem to be willing to throw away their freedom than I am by this virus.

I get that DeSantis is trying to protect areas that are not yet heavily involved and I applaud the notion of trying to limit the spread during a pandemic, but I also think the 'just lock everyone in their homes by any means necessary' notion is a not a healthy one at all. We are literally destroying the economy and risking a full-blown depression, for the sake of the futile effort to stop a virus from doing what viruses do. At what point does the treatment become worse than the disease?

It's true that roadblocks won't stop a virus. There is a reason the phrase 'going viral' means what it means. People can take steps to protect themselves if they want to, and they should be doing that, but robbing innocent people of their constitutional freedoms just seems wrong and disturbing to me. For the record, I am all for imposing travel bans. People need to stay in their own communities wherever possible, excepting that commercial shipping must be allowed to continue, one way or another. But locking people in their homes at the point of a gun (don't assume hyperbole here, when law enforcement or national guard enforce 'stay at home' orders, that's what that is) is just disturbing.

PS - and before anyone assumes I don't have skin in the game, I have two living parents age 82 and 73, two living in-laws age 80+, one with asthma, and a wife with autoimmune disease and asthma, so rest assured I have a vested interest in keeping my family safe - we have taken the measures we can take to protect ourselves and our families - we go get my wife's parents their groceries, or have them delivered, I have made sure my parents are staying home and taking infection control precautions any and every chance they get, loading up on vitamin C and probiotics, and we are working hard to make sure we don't spread germs to each other. That's what people should be doing. But calling for our government to engage martial law to lock us in our homes just feels antithetical to what it means to be an American.

#22 · (Edited)
So how many of you would be ok with a house next door that suddenly has 10 vehicles with New York plates parked in front of it? And the house across the street has the same?
Then get to be in line with them in the grocery store checkout line?
And they know they tested positive for the chineseflu?

#25 ·
I think quarantining people from Lousy-Anna for 14 days is a good idea...and should be done even after the SARS-CoV-2 threat is over with.

14 days will give them time to clear out the crawfish, boudin and BS from their systems before letting them loose around normal people.

:D

#30 ·
My neighbor who is FHP officer and working on I-10 at the roadblock told me that at least 1 out of ten Lousianna vehicle’s which is 10% doesn’t know who they are. Because when they pull up at the roadblock they ask my him “do you know who I am “ ? And he tells them it doesn’t matter who you are . You are from Lousianna and need to turn around and go back .

#31 ·
Florida, along with numerous other states, need to read the US Constitution regarding freedom of movement. There are other options rather than obliterating our rights as citizens. When we eliminate the Constitution, the USA ceases to exist.

Freedom of movement under United States law. Freedom of movement under United States law is governed primarily by the Privileges and Immunities Clause of the United States Constitution which states, "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement

#41 ·
Property taxes

I am lucky enough to have ownership of two properties in Florida although I am a legal resident of Louisiana. I do spend at this time about 70% of my time at my home in Louisiana where my work office is as well. My issue with the travel "ban" ( which this is attempting to be) is twofold :
1. It is totally unenforceable. There are a lot of backroads I can take that can get me into Florida w/o using I10 !

2. If I am basically being told I cannot use the properties that I outright own in Florida for a specific period of time, then I should not also be forced to pay property taxes for that same period of time ! This will be a legal issue for the state of Florida.

#42 ·
I am lucky enough to have ownership of two properties in Florida although I am a legal resident of Louisiana. I do spend at this time about 70% of my time at my home in Louisiana where my work office is as well. My issue with the travel "ban" ( which this is attempting to be) is twofold :
1. It is totally unenforceable. There are a lot of backroads I can take that can get me into Florida w/o using I10 !

2. If I am basically being told I cannot use the properties that I outright own in Florida for a specific period of time, then I should not also be forced to pay property taxes for that same period of time ! This will be a legal issue for the state of Florida.

You are correct, I-10 and I-95 are the only place a check point exists.

2. If I am basically being told I cannot use the properties that I outright own in Florida for a specific period of time, then I should not also be forced to pay property taxes for that same period of time ! This will be a legal issue for the state of Florida

I have not seen where you are unable to use your property. Just that you have to "Self Quarantine" for 14 days when you come to Florida from Louisiana.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.