Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I went out to Archie Glover last Thursday for the first time in a few years, and the bite was really slow. The only thing I managed to catch was a couple largemouth bass. Now, I'm not a great fisherman but I haven't ever caught freshwater fish out there and it got me to wondering. I'm assuming that all that rain we've had dumped a lot of freshwater into the bayou and bay and that's why the bass were there.

What effect, if any, would the freshwater have on the specks and reds, or other inshore fish?

I've been reading on the forums that some people are having a hard time with the specks lately, and I used to catch them pretty regularly out at Archie Glover (along with the occasional red). I was just wondering if it was the freshwater or my lack of skills, haha.

Thanks for any input. I love getting out on the water and I'm trying to learn more about the fish behavior... because it's even better out on the water when the fish are biting!

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Don't worry about the bass. We catch them all through the bay. Just watch for dirty water to come down from the north. Otherwise the water is pretty clean as of late. The fish are around you just gotta find the pattern. Early season still on a shrimp pattern. Soon to switch over to a mullet pattern. Find the bait find the fish. Look for mullet schools first

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on hitting the water again in the morning, I'll see if I have any better luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't worry about the bass. We catch them all through the bay. Just watch for dirty water to come down from the north. Otherwise the water is pretty clean as of late. The fish are around you just gotta find the pattern. Early season still on a shrimp pattern. Soon to switch over to a mullet pattern. Find the bait find the fish. Look for mullet schools first

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Went back out yesterday, missed a red on topwater on a grass falt, got a few hits on a gulp shrimp, and had a smaller speck follow a gold DOA shrimp to the kayak before spooking off. The wind was pushing me around too much so I called it a day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts