Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for the first time today specifically targeting Crappie on the Choctawhatchee River. Launch at hwy 20 and fished around Cowford Island and in Crew Lake. After about the 3rd hr of not catching anything, I thought about the fishermen's "Stay Positive" mindset, therefore, I pushed on hoping the next cast would land one. Well, once the sun started to ease down and the temp started to drop, I decided to call it a day. I didn't even get a hit and got completely skunked.

Not sure if it was something I was doing or the fish just were not active. I focused a lot of my time on jigging (1/16 oz w/Mr. Crappie shad pole) brush and fallen trees along the bank that went into deeper water. I also threw several types of small crankbaits and a Beatle Spin. I fished on the main river were the water was moving good and also back in sloughs and creeks where the water was barely moving. One thing I did not have were minnows but don't know how well they would of been since I couldn't even locate the fish. On the depth finder there were brush piles, drop offs and deep holes all over the place. I'm not an expert at reading that thing but it didn't appear there was much life in and around them.

Crappie fishing is new to me and believe it or not, I have never caught one...not even by accident. I think that's why I have set out on this mission to learn the ways to catch those so called tasty fish. If my fishing tactics were off for this time of year let me know...based on the results of today any advice would be helpful.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,106 Posts
LOL. You certainly did all the right things so far as the 'hunt' goes. Even the locations were good ones and close by. Zillions have been caught there. Your persistence will hit pay dirt if you keep it up. Crappie are biting on the river right now and pretty good on a given day, but as with any fish you have to find them first. That's the trick as we all know.

So far as minnows go a friend of mine walked all over me with jigs this afternoon. I used minnows. He out-fished me 2 or 3 to 1. So that's the way it goes with crappie. Yesterday the were hitting both jigs and minnows at the same time in the same spot....but not today.

Go back tomorrow or in a day or two...the bite may be on ....who knows?

Incidentally, I have been at it only 3 years. It took a Kansas snowbird to get me interested. Lived here all my life and never realized the 'Choctaw was a decent crappie fishery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts