Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Cobra handheld VHF radio for Christmas.I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice on how to use it for safety/weather info as well as angling help. I haven't read the manual yet but plan to. Primary use for me will be to have on boardmy small boat in case I get in a bind. I rarely leave the Pass. Unit is charging now (initial charge for the battery). In the day and age of the cell phone I figure this thing will be a good back up and maybe I can listen to all the boaters out there with it while I'm chilling here at homeon Innerarity Point? Might be fun during cobia season according to my buddy The Blue Hoo.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Hi Mike,,, you can perform a radio check on 68, and monitor channel 16, this is the emergency channel,, most people radio check on 16 but the CG doesnt like it, channel 68 is what most fishermen monitor and talk on, there are also ship and barge channels, it a blast to listen in on them as they go through the Pensacola land cut,,, but by all means remember it is a line of sight radio, so if you are behind a big sandbar or up in a creek, chances are you wont transmit very far.. hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kenny. I am going to power it up and start working with it when the initial charge finishes! That's good info on the channels 16 and 68.I did not know that!

·
Registered
692 Posts
mdrobe2 (1/6/2010)Thanks Kenny. I am going to power it up and start working with it when the initial charge finishes! That's good info on the channels 16 and 68.I did not know that!

Keep it on ch16 when you are just sitting around, if someone is in trouble and you are nearby you can save someones life just by having it on.

Don't get carried away with the radio checks, some days you can hardly stand to have the radio on for all the radio checks... good advice from the poster above about not doing radio checks on 16.. usually plenty of traffic on 68.

If you are not calling for someone or reporting an emergency don't talk on channel 16. If you have an emergency, you can interrupt other conversation with the word 'break'.... never 'breaker breaker'.. unless your handle is 'bandit' and you are driving a kenworth.... good buddy.

The normal procedure is to call the vessel you want 3x, and wait. If they do not answer, repeat if you really need to, but do not do it over and over... Ex, Faith, Faith, Faith.... (your name here).

Drop the 'CB' lingo. Things like 'you got your ears on', obscure '10 codes' and 'good buddy' DO NOT make you cool. Also, saying 'over' at the end of each transmission makes you sound equally silly.

Do not use profanity. Remember there are others sitting fishing with their children... and it is illegal, but it is unlikely to be caught.. by the FCC... your brothers here will likely bust your chops on the board though. ;)

If you hear foreign language chatting away on channel 16, it is permissible, even encouraged) to hunt them down and kill them....

....really.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I keep one in the truck, can monitor 16 or give instruction while backing the boat..or when you drop somebody at the dock it comes in handy..you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny that the guy on the forum who likely has the highest rating/captain's license of anyone on the forum signs off his post by saying "out." Thanks for the link Jeff. I put it in my favorites. Great pun on your part either way. Thanks again...M

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Sailing_Faith (1/6/2010)
mdrobe2 (1/6/2010)Thanks Kenny. I am going to power it up and start working with it when the initial charge finishes! That's good info on the channels 16 and 68.I did not know that!

Keep it on ch16 when you are just sitting around, if someone is in trouble and you are nearby you can save someones life just by having it on.

Don't get carried away with the radio checks, some days you can hardly stand to have the radio on for all the radio checks... good advice from the poster above about not doing radio checks on 16.. usually plenty of traffic on 68.

If you are not calling for someone or reporting an emergency don't talk on channel 16. If you have an emergency, you can interrupt other conversation with the word 'break'.... never 'breaker breaker'.. unless your handle is 'bandit' and you are driving a kenworth.... good buddy.

The normal procedure is to call the vessel you want 3x, and wait. If they do not answer, repeat if you really need to, but do not do it over and over... Ex, Faith, Faith, Faith.... (your name here).

Drop the 'CB' lingo. Things like 'you got your ears on', obscure '10 codes' and 'good buddy' DO NOT make you cool. Also, saying 'over' at the end of each transmission makes you sound equally silly.

Do not use profanity. Remember there are others sitting fishing with their children... and it is illegal, but it is unlikely to be caught.. by the FCC... your brothers here will likely bust your chops on the board though. ;)

If you hear foreign language chatting away on channel 16, it is permissible, even encouraged) to hunt them down and kill them....

....really.

quick question....

are you saying that if im talking to "a boat" i shouldnt say "over" when done speaking?...i was taught to say "over" when you wanted a response and to say "over and out" when the conversation was done!

just wondering

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Fender BEnder likes to get on mine at 3 am out in the middle of the gulf during a shark tourney, when we can see some commercial boat lights in the distance, and here vietnamese chatter, and get on there and yell...

"TING PING PAI CHUNG KOW PIE TY!!!"...

Scary though when you see the light go off on the other boat, and you have no idea if 30 vietnames armed with matchetes are slipping thru the dark waters towards you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts