Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Congrats, that not just a bw bird. That's a solid bird. Now do a fan mount, pluck the beard, clean the spurs, save the shell you shot it with.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats, that not just a bw bird. That's a solid bird. Now do a fan mount, pluck the beard, clean the spurs, save the shell you shot it with.

Thanks, I already ordered my mount and I have the fan and beard drying in the garage right now.

I also pulled the spurs off. My wife wants to make some earrings with them.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Thanks, I already ordered my mount and I have the fan and beard drying in the garage right now.

I also pulled the spurs off. My wife wants to make some earrings with them.
Just make sure you get the tail bone cut out all the way. Let it sit a long while.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just make sure you get the tail bone cut out all the way. Let it sit a long while.

This video is interesting, at about 3:45 he talks about using Bondo to set the tail fan so you don't have to wait to dry it out.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Congratulations on your first gobbler! That's an outstanding bird. I clean the fan as best I can, spread it and thumb tack it to a piece of cardboard, shake a little salt or borax on it and lat it flat on top of a dresser or something in the house. It'll dry in a week or so and there's no smell. Drying inside works better cause there's no humidity (or critters).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I've been riding high all day. I'm definitely hooked.

It's weird how I was so much more excited for my first turkey than my first deer, not sure why but I was jacked up after I smoked him.

·
Registered
12,659 Posts
Thanks everyone. I've been riding high all day. I'm definitely hooked.

It's weird how I was so much more excited for my first turkey than my first deer, not sure why but I was jacked up after I smoked him.
Probably because you worked harder for the bird.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts