Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know where they are, it's always getting time to get there. I wanted to go yesterday when the weather was nicer, but that didn't happen due to comments that my brother had.

So he calls this morning. I call My buddy Ed and another buddy.

We are ready to go at 10:00 and the thermometer at the house is still reading.

We launch and make the cold ass run. We ease up on the spot and I see the Pelicans sitting around.....A sure sign that the mullet are there.

1st throw

2nd throw and have to help brother lift the net.

I wave to the guys on the bridge and bid them good luck. HeHe

There is 90 deheaded Silver Mullet in that bucket.

All total just under 200. Pretty good guess for 2 throws and 4 people.

Part of the cleaning crew. 2hrs later we are all done.

But not before we lit the grill and got some Wild Cherry smoking.

Smoked Mullet and Beer. :hungry

By the way. Jack got a hold of one and I couldn't get it away from him. He swallowed the whole thing, just like a Pelican.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Holy crap... good going. Does smoking them make them taste better than fried? I tried some fried mullet once, was "fishy" and I threw it out. Cant imagine eating that many unless smoking makes them yummy

·
Registered
549 Posts
Tim threw off that bridge a few hours ago. First throw about a hundred. Second throw another 150 or so. We had to release all but 150 total. They sure make good winter baits. Be carefull the FWC are checking the bridges. 50 per person just in case some one didn't know. Gene

4,058 Posts
X-shark, is your lab one of the ones from John Godwin? That picture is hilarious. How do you eat smoked mullet? Never had it and never seen them cooked whole (not filleted) like that.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I would LOVE to go get some tomorrow. I don't know where to try, though. Would they be primarily in canals and shallow bayous? I am sitting here thinking of all the places that might qualify. Most of them have deep water nearby, so I don't know if that is a dealbreaker or not.

Any pointers? I was thinking Mulat bayou, Navy point, 12th avenue, etc....

Could throw off a bridge, as long as I know which one would work out. I love mullet!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice job, so are you going to give up the Spot??

Nope! :)

But some will figure it out. :)

Think about this. The water is cold. But it is warmer the farther inland you go.

Deep holes are a Plus.

In fact it did not happen this year, but another year or two ago.

I'd been in this area. I knew that it was shallow and that there was a 8ft deep hole in there.

So here we go. I'm in the spot, but the bottom machine say's it's 3ft deep.

I tell brother throw the net blind..... Right there.

1 throw and we are gone. There was 5ft thick of Mullet stacked in that hole.

As far as taste better than fried?

Well it's just different, but good never the less. The 1st ones were cooked a little to high of heat and had less smoke flavor.

These winter mullet have a lot of fat on them. In fact the water from me rinsing them was beading off my hands from handling them.

They need a cold smoke in my opinion. Like 175deg to 200deg.

I've been wanting to make smoke mullet dip for a long time.

If any of you remember the "Nautical Steam Shack" at the foot of Barancus draw bridge. [It doesn't exist anymore.]

They had...Hands down the best stuff. It would make your toung slap your brains out. :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Nice post and pics, I could almost smell those mullet on the smoker.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
993 Posts
my wife got a pressure cooker from my mother for christmas. hopefully i can find some directions on how to make canned mullet. i have never tried them canned but the oldtimers around here swear by them. plus you dont have to be in a race to eat them before the fish taste sets in. in our area it seems like the bloodline is thicker in the winter.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was amazing how much oil was in these fish.

When washing them the water would bead on my hands just from handling the fish.

The belly cavities had it in them when we pulled the 1st few out of the cooker.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
dammit bobby! i'm hungry for some mullet now...point rest. here i come...

nice post and i love smoked mullet...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
i have caught mullet in that area since i could throw a net. have had to break the ice with the boat to get the net to sink to the mullet and the net would freeze as you pulled it out of the water. don't like to do that anymore,to darn cold for me. did manage to get a couple hundred to make chum out of though. put up 50 gallon bags for later use. all that fat content make really good chum. i'll get some more before the cold snap is over. might have a fish fry for the people at work next week.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
nice mess!!!:clap

we went out this morning and got our 200.

brought the cast net but they were spread out so the dip net seemed to be more productive.

we smoked some, but we filet them and cut the bellies out, but left the skin on. they were pretty good, but just got done eaten some fried ones mmm mmm.

there were four other folksat the same spot and there was plenty for everyone, so i will disclose the location- i can not tell a lie we were at the massachusetts.:letsdrink

·
Registered
725 Posts
<DIV id=WNStoryHeader><H3>Cold weather freezes thousands of fish in OS Harbor</H3><EM class=wnDate>Posted: Jan 09, 2010 11:10 AM CST <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/i]</DIV><DIV id=WNStoryRelatedBox class=wnRight><DIV class="wnStoryBodyGraphic wnImageWidth-90">
</DIV></DIV><DIV id=WNStoryBody>

OCEAN SPRINGS, MS (WLOX) -On Saturday morning,WLOX reporter Sylvia Hallwas working on a story about the Ocean Springs Harbor when she came across thousands of dead fish. The fish were Mullet.

Department of Marine Resources Director William Walker says this is very common in extremely cold weather coupled with low tide. The fish become trapped inshallow water then die of hypothermia. He says D.M.R. does not clean up the fish because most people pick them up and eat them.

"There is nothing wrong with the fish," said Dr. Walker.

Dr. Walker says there was a similar incident in Hancock County a few days ago.

WLOX also spoke with Earl Ethridge of the Department of Environmental Quality who said the dead fish pose no environmental hazard.

Copyright 2010 WLOX. All rights reserved. </DIV>

·
Registered
415 Posts
For some unknown reason this post motivated me to go catch some mullet. We threw the net twice and couldn't lift it either time. We had our limit with the first throw, but we culled some smaller ones. I'll probably never do it again! I don't know what I was thinking, we cleaned mullet for an hour in the freezing cold!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts