Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,946 Posts
fishingfromagunship (1/4/2009)
Chris Couture (1/4/2009)Had to shoot him in the head 3 times... I'll tell the tracking story a little later... This fellow was a fighter!
Have anything to do with the missing tine, LOL? :poke:toast
That's what I'm saying....boy oh boy Chris need some range time I see:poke But that don't matter....what matters is you killed it and I didn't:banghead:banghead:banghead Very nice buck brother!!!:letsdrink CONGRATS!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Na... I knew I had made a bad shot so we let the deer be for 4 hours. When we found him, we thought he was dead because his eye was glazed over and open. Kevin found him and was the first to him and had his horns and was commenting "Nice Rack" when the deer stood up and took off. He ran about 40 feet in a circle and fell down. Kevin shot him in the head once (all we had was a 22) and he took off again. He landed in a ditch and Kevin shot him in the head again and he was still struggling so Kevin handed the gun to Mike who was holding him down and Mike shot him in the head once again and he finally died.

·
Registered
771 Posts
jim t (1/4/2009)From a non hunter... is that a 7-point buck since he lost a tine? I'm not up to speed on how to score a rack...

If the point measure's 1" from the top of the beam it is still a point. It look's like that would still count as a point and the little sticker off the other base would be very close.

Great buck Chris, Congrat's! A taxidermist can fix that point with no problem. Great read also.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,546 Posts
imkilroy (1/4/2009)
jim t (1/4/2009)From a non hunter... is that a 7-point buck since he lost a tine? I'm not up to speed on how to score a rack...

If the point measure's 1" from the top of the beam it is still a point. It look's like that would still count as a point and the little sticker off the other base would be very close.

Great buck Chris, Congrat's! A taxidermist can fix that point with no problem. Grteat read also.
I was looking at the cam phone pics Chris had up there to begin with. It looked like it was broke smooth. Looking atthebetter picsI would probably count that as one. The 1" is the offical way technically speaking.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Chris Couture (1/4/2009)Na... I knew I had made a bad shot so we let the deer be for 4 hours. When we found him, we thought he was dead because his eye was glazed over and open. Kevin found him and was the first to him and had his horns and was commenting "Nice Rack" when the deer stood up and took off. He ran about 40 feet in a circle and fell down. Kevin shot him in the head once (all we had was a 22) and he took off again. He landed in a ditch and Kevin shot him in the head again and he was still struggling so Kevin handed the gun to Mike who was holding him down and Mike shot him in the head once again and he finally died.
Holy CRAP! What a story. That is hilarious (since nobody was hurt).

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah, talk about being scared for both our lives and that we wouldn't find him again! Especially after seeing how nice of a deer he was! Got a wounded deer running around and all we have is a 22 and dieing flash lights! There is even more to the story...

When we loaded up after dinner, we took my golf cart. Me and 3 other guys headed down to find the deer. I parked the cart where the lights would shine into the woods so we would be able to walk back (I have a separate 12 volt system on mine). Anyway, we sent one guy back to get the cart and pull it to the bottom of the food plot and get as close as he can to where we were. Well, the guy took "get as close as you can" to mean cutting a trail through the woods. This was some pretty thick stuff and he ended up driving into the woods about 150 feet, bulldoggin trees up to 3" across and so on. We were like "Damn, it doesn't seem like the plot should be so close" and it wasn't! Luckly the golf cart made it back out but it was a fight with all the vines and reversing over the trees. The others had to point them in the other direction before I could reverse over them but we made it back out.

Now, we have a 180 pound deer on the back and 4 guys to get back to the camp. The ol' Flip Flop seat became flopped to hold the deer so two of the guys were holding onto the top and standing on the back. We went to leave and were at a pretty steep angle and I swear to you the cart almost tipped over. At least it felt that way so I had them get off until I got squared up on the incline where the road was. Another problem we has was there there were some more steep hills ahead so we called someone to come get two of the guys as me and Kevin headed back.

All in all, what a great weekend. I took my 8 year old hunting for the first time and he saw his first deer this weekend, it was a small basket 4 point. Problem is he saw it 5 minutes after we got in the box and it was moving with 2 dogs on its trail. He wasn't running as was about the same pace as the one I shot but this is his first time hunting and he had only shot targets the day before for the first time so there was no way he could have found the deer in the scope. Not to mention he kind of got spoiled thinking that after 5 minutes, deer would show up. Plus, I didn't even have ammo in the gun yet because we just settled in. I put ammo in the clip (not chamber) and told him lets play a game. Lets play "there's a deer". He was wondering what that was and I said it's kind of like "I Spy" and I would say "there's a deer... it's right there, it's the white log in the middle of the two green bushes. See if you can get it in the scope and get the plus sign on it." Well, he of course couldn't so after spending about 20 minutes with him he finally could raise up the gun and get what I called out in the cross hairs.

He wanted to hunt in the morning so I got everything ready but we had a late night so he decided not to go when I woke him. That was fine with me because I don't usually hunt in the morning unless it's gonna be real cold or the rut is on. My best friend, Danny Hill, showed up and we went to hand a 2 man ladder stand and looked for a good spot for a while on a creek and found some GREAT sign but I decided not to put it there because I didn't want to mess that area up and we put in on some new select cut lanes. That afternoon, some of the other members with kids decided to ride around and look for deer and my son wanted to go with them so I said OK and that is when I shot the deer mentioned above. With rain in the forecast on Satruday evening, we sat another box and saw one doe but she was just passing and there was no way to get a shot.

Our club motto for this year is "Making Memory's" and it's printed on our club shirts. This trip was one that will make that motto hold true!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Great story Chris, sorry you had to put him down like that but it happens. The golf cart part is freaking hilarious. Congrats on a nice buck.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts