Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
simple man
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got it in the water.Decided the best course of action was to team up with an expert.After being drilled about the do's and don'ts of open water yakking....off we went.It was amazing!!! Working the swells and breaks..Didn't take long to realize I've gotten older and seriously out of shape haha:whistling:.With my mentor by my side..I had the pleasure of a smooth,safe ride.Thanks to everyone for tips and advice.Look forward to meeting and fishing with you..:thumbup:

·
simple man
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sir !! We went yesterday..Only had a couple hour window..I don't believe in taking chances...Thin line between bravery and foolishness ...One I try never to cross !!!

·
simple man
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. My onshore team took a couple pics..Will try to post later.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well finally got it in the water.Decided the best course of action was to team up with an expert.After being drilled about the do's and don'ts of open water yakking....off we went.It was amazing!!! Working the swells and breaks..Didn't take long to realize I've gotten older and seriously out of shape haha:whistling:.With my mentor by my side..I had the pleasure of a smooth,safe ride.Thanks to everyone for tips and advice.Look forward to meeting and fishing with you..:thumbup:
The drilling wasn't to bad I hope and you heeded my advice (waders and yaks don't mix!) and you tore it up! It is an incredible feeling of peace and freedom gliding through the rollers! I'm glad I was there to watch your maiden voyage and I look forward to many trips in the future! UGLY

·
simple man
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree JD. We had sustained winds at 7. Tried to take every precaution possible.From safety equipment to onshore lookout. Only thing we didn't have was a chase boat.I did get a little chilly haha.I would have been much more comfortable in my waders and bear suit haha.But reality sat in and safety first.Thanks again Don...Wouldn't have traded it for anything..

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Waders

I agree that modern light weight breathables with a wading belt a PFD and a paddle jacket are safer than old school heavy neoprene but lot of factors come into play when your not in a swimming pool! Lot of other options that I will use before before I wear waders on my yak! UGLY

·
Banned
3,084 Posts
My first time ever on my kayak was at 10 PM or so in the gulf. First time ever on a yak, actually. One of the guys I was with had waders and we were using them. I didn't know at the time and just wore them. Then I thought to myself " what if I tip? These will get filled with water and I'm screwed." Never again. Now I wear military wet weather bottoms and tops. Thank goodness I wasn't wearing waders when I was nailed by surf about 150-200 yards out coming back in during heavy surf

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Even if your waders fill up with water all of the way, it's not like the water in your waders are heavier! You still won't sink. Especially with your PFD. Harder to swim? Sure. Sink? No.

Good waders and wading belt and PFD won't even allow all that much water in any way.

Have fun and be safe!

·
Banned
3,084 Posts
Even if your waders fill up with water all of the way, it's not like the water in your waders are heavier! You still won't sink. Especially with your PFD. Harder to swim? Sure. Sink? No.

Good waders and wading belt and PFD won't even allow all that much water in any way.

Have fun and be safe!
why would I wear something that makes it harder for me to swim? If I get dumped again like I did, my first mission is to get back in my yak. And not only do the waders make it harder to swim, but I'd love to see someone with full waders try and get back in a yak in 20 ft of water. Probably not gonna happen.

·
Registered
679 Posts

Have fun and be safe!
Hey Jason you hit the nail on the head! The waders even when full of water will not pull you under with a PFD. What they will do is more than double your mass and drag making catching up to a wind blown kayak very difficult to say the least. And again modern hi $ waders a PFD and paddle jacket are safe for a quick dump in the drink and a short swim to your yak. Unfortuneatly most don't have the good waders, the wading belt or the paddle jacket and most important the ability to NOT panick! I hope everyone does research into how to stay safe and dry in a yak before heading out to play and catches lots of fish! Just remember there is a reason they call them waders! UGLY

1 - 15 of 15 Posts