Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Got a reel coming. Need line and something to put it on.

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  badonskybuccaneers 
#1 ·
Getting a new Spin fisher SSV8500 LL and need a rod and line for it. I'm planning on using it for bottom fishing for Grouper, snapper, AJs and sharks as well as using it for a backup shark rod on the surf. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on the rod. I'd like to keep it under $100, less if possible. I'm only down to the gulf a week out of the year. Saw a lot of videos on the Ugly stick Tiger Light, but they don't seem to be making them anymore. I've also seen several videos with guys putting the mono on the bottom and braid on top. This seems counterintuitive to me.*

So what would be a good rod? I'm thinking 5'6"-7'. Three's a jigging rod for sale in the fishing gear room, but I've done spent my wad, so can't get anything right now. Don't need anything until Jun 2018. Would like to spool it before then.

What line, weight and configuration would you suggest?

#2 ·
John, the reason many of us put the braid as the hotshot was we weren't sharkfishing for monsters. 40 pound braid will stop most fish well before that 200 yards of braid comes off, longer casts, hoarding fish to the gaff. My king reels are spoiled with 20 pound mono with a 150 to 200 yards of 40 on top. Makes more sense to me than putting 1000 yards of 40 braid with a hotshot of 20 mono.

#4 ·
Braid has no stretch.

That can rip a hook 1

You need room for the head to snatch around and have the line stretch without losing tension.

I prefer 40-50' of mono.
mono stretches 10%
so at 40-50' I have enough stretch to allow the fish the ability to do his thing without ripping the mouth and also not creating slack in the line releasing the hook.

Everything I have now, even trolling rigs have bottom shots of 80lb braid. Just because it increase line capacity 2x

FG knot always

#7 · (Edited)
For the shorebound sharking aspect, the mono topshot serves as abrasion resistance against both the bottom and shark, as a shock leader when casting heavier baits/weights and as a safety against losing expensive braid.

Your 65/50 is how I've my two 9500SS reels spooled, hasn't failed me yet.

As for rods, no selection suggestions without a budget.
But I would say that I'd want two different rods, one 6'-7' H/XH for boat/yak, and one 8'-10' MH/H for surf.
If I had to choose one for both I'd look at a 7'6" H.

#9 · (Edited)
So far, everything sounds productive. The only thing I can add is... "The reel is going to sit for a year before you get to use it?!" Lol
I have "The Twins"- 2 Spinfisher V 8500 (not the live liner series). I have them on the Penn Bluewater Carnage rods- they are good jigging and pitching rods. But anything you get for that purpose on the boat won't be very good for trying to cast long distances off the beach. Since I got my rods, Penn did some remodeling on the Bluewater Carnage rods. They are absolutely killer now! Anyway- if you have seen our videos- we have caught red snapper, king mackerel, and amber jack on them. Good combos in my opinion.
The only problem- they do run up to $200. If you shop around- you might find one on sale for about $150. But, a good rod is worth it- JMHO
Hope this was helpful- tight lines!

#10 ·
I do have an 11' surf rod that I can put it on for casting. Don't remember what it is. I got it at BPS about 3-4 years ago on clearance for $50. I'm too much of a big panzy to yak baits out in the dark. I figure I can yak out in the day on the short rod and then put it on the long rod at night. I do go through my reels when I get back home, clean, lube and then put t hem in the garage in a covered 5gal bucket for next year. My smaller ones i use here for bass and crappie fishing.

#11 ·
I do have an 11' surf rod that I can put it on for casting. Don't remember what it is. I got it at BPS about 3-4 years ago on clearance for $50. I'm too much of a big panzy to yak baits out in the dark. I figure I can yak out in the day on the short rod and then put it on the long rod at night. I do go through my reels when I get back home, clean, lube and then put t hem in the garage in a covered 5gal bucket for next year. My smaller ones i use here for bass and crappie fishing.
Sounds like a good idea. I used to lug a 12' Ugly Stick to the beach with my Shimano Spin and throw for Bluefish. But you will like that Spinfisher- built like a tank as far as I'm concerned. Sealed up tight! We have not had a single problem with ours since we bought them.

I'd go trade off on a couple of the new Slammer Reels with the 2nd gen Bluewater Carnage rods, but just can't seem to put these down yet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.