Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Google Chrome has become surveillance software

Over a recent week of web surfing, I peered under the hood of Google Chrome and found it brought along a few thousand friends. Shopping, news and even government sites quietly tagged my browser to let ad and data companies ride shotgun while I clicked around the web.

My tests of Chrome versus Firefox unearthed a personal data caper of absurd proportions. In a week of web surfing on my desktop, I discovered 11,189 requests for tracker “cookies” that Chrome would have ushered right onto my computer, but were automatically blocked by Firefox. These little files are the hooks that data firms, including Google itself, use to follow what websites you visit so they can build profiles of your interests, income and personality.

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
but, I'm operating in the dark. I downloaded a app to stop them tracking me? Are you saying, We're all being tracked and our data is being collected and analyzed? Oh, Please, PLEASE say it isn't so....

The internet is a "public Space" Just like going into a gas station, you should presume you're being recorded.... If you don't want to be record, "Simply, Don't go in...."

So much for the PFF, Internet, Cell Phones, Credit Cards, Utilities, Car ownership, Home ownership, dangit! Sucks, but technology is used for us, and against us every minute of every day...

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,856 Posts
So deleting history after each session on the web won't help get rid of cookies?
BleachBit used the same won't help either?
What about going Incognito?

Not being snarky, honest questions.

Used Firefox before, it had issues, was glitchy.

ETA That article seemed to be a advertisement for Firefox.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So deleting history after each session on the web won't help get rid of cookies?
No you have to go in and Delete cookies

BleachBit used the same won't help either?
Yes but your Drive will be erased as well.

What about going Incognito?
Surfing the web naked will not help, No

Not being snarky, honest questions.

Used Firefox before, it had issues, was glitchy.

ETA That article seemed to be a advertisement for Firefox.
I have used Firefox for ever before that Netscape 4.0. back when I had 2 dialup modem in shock gun mode from spydee net.

I now use Firefox Quantum 64-Bit it updates all the time. Adblock Plus is the best blocker. I have used DuckDuckgo as my default search engine and delete all the others. I rarely ever have issues BUT I don't use my phone to surf, nothing is 100% but why not do what you can. Just like Max.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Then asking Chrome to clear cookies doesn't work?

View attachment 1043352

And don't understand about erasing drive. Isn't that what you want to do in the first place?

yes you can with that option. The point is you know how to navigate through the options most do not or understand what they mean.

This is firefox.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10-4 Screenshot is going into advanced.

But, it is there. :thumbup:

Yeah most browsers have these options but do people know to go in and shut them off? Every time I deal with new software the first thing I do is hit the options/preferences/settings what ever name they use.

But I know you are a research guy, if you want to know something you are the type to bang it out till you know everything about it.

Brandon, Reel_sick knows about this stuff more then anyone. He probably has every screen of every browser in his head/mind palace. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts