Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am probably just spitting into the wind on this one but I just sent an e-mail to the FWC requesting a marker on the stack of the Mass. I know, I am not going to hold my breath or anything but I thought I would at least try. I really don't understand why a floating PVC pipe marker couldn't be dropped into the stack. Or a flag clamped onto it. Something to mark the actual stack.
So... how many times ya run into it? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
399 Posts
So far so good, We have not even bumped it yet. I always get tight around it because I am afraid of hitting it. I have been there on two different occasions where someone else did hit it. Just because you can rent, buy or borrow a boat doesn't mean you have skills or knowledge to navigate it. The Mass on a high tide can do some serious damage lurking below the surface unseen. DunDun.....DunDun....😯

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I use to be a strong proponent of marking it with some type of buoy right over the wreck, but now I can see the public benefit of leaving it just the way it is. The more googans that f'up their boats because they lack the situational awareness or navigation skills to know that there is a 800 foot sunken wreck just beyond the pass that they need to avoid, the fewer there will be out there crowding around the spots that I like to fish. Kinda like a nautical speed bump.(y)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I am a saltwater noob and even I knew how to go out there and mark the turret mounts on my plotter on a calm day so I can avoid contact. I have them both clearly marked on my chart, I come down to idle when I get within about 500 feet, sooner if there are boats so I don't wake them. Have to kinda agree with Play'N Hooky Too on this one. Let Darwin have his moments.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I am probably just spitting into the wind on this one but I just sent an e-mail to the FWC requesting a marker on the stack of the Mass.
This has been talked about and beat to death for years /// Decades even. The contention is.....It is Marked.......to North bound traffic coming thru the Pass...... Now as to actually Marking a Turret...... Once it is marked.....Then it must be maintained.....Maintenance is not something they want to spend money on.

What I just wrote is the shortened / revised / in my words.....what Robert Turppin would tell you.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
I am probably just spitting into the wind on this one but I just sent an e-mail to the FWC requesting a marker on the stack of the Mass. I know, I am not going to hold my breath or anything but I thought I would at least try. I really don't understand why a floating PVC pipe marker couldn't be dropped into the stack. Or a flag clamped onto it. Something to mark the actual stack.
FWC has nothing to do with marking a wreck. The coast guard handles that and it is already properly marked. There are no stacks on the mass. What is exposed at low tides are the barbets that the big guns turrets would set in.
Several people have put buoys on it which is illegal. A weekend warrier sees a buoy and goes to see what it is and BOOM hits the wreck. Check the charts and watch out for it. I posted both wreck ends GPS numbers. I'm on cell phone someone post them again.

·
Super Moderator
28,282 Posts
When I would come and go, I'd sway way away from it!!! Always turned auto pilot off so it wouldn't take me over it!!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts