Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen them since about November. Yesterday Sheila and Jane showed up. Gave old familiar whistle and her old ears picked up and started walking towards the house. Wen't inside and grabbed the last sweet potato and a knife. It was just like no time ever lapsed. She would dip her head, I would talk to her and dip mine. Then she would lick her lips as I held the potato and knife in the air. When I cut a slice 3/4 of the way through and broke the rest, it was like an old calling sign. She walked up to within about 8'. After the potato was done I went inside and they fed in the yard for about another hour, then left. Two hours later they show up again and come up to the house to within 10' of the concrete. Only thing I had left was a regular ole red potato. She was happy to eat it, slice by slice. I think I noticed a little bulge behind the rib cage, so maybe we'll have fawns in the yard again this year. Didn't think she made it through the last year from age. Been a backyard fixture for 5 or 6 years now. Was nice to see her again. Here's an old pic.
IMG-0848.JPG

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I have regular visitors in my yard, but none come that close. 20 feet is as close as I've had them in twenty years.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
That's cool. I had an ancient doe at our hunting lease that would almost eat out of my hand. I could tell some stories about that old gal but nobody would believe 'em. Got pictures of her somewhere.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Very cool.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
NICE! Mine have visited every night for 2 years, but of late have gone nocturnal, so we don't see them often. Anyone have a clue as how to encourage them to show up before dark? I didn't know they liked taters! They do love corn and apples!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Go get a bag of bread(40lbs) at the day old bread store $4.50, feed a loaf a day and they will be eating out of your hand all the time.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
That's cool. I had an ancient doe at our hunting lease that would almost eat out of my hand. I could tell some stories about that old gal but nobody would believe 'em. Got pictures of her somewhere.
Shoot, start telling the stories. Animals are interesting creatures. We have a squirrel at home that my kids can hand feed. She knows when we pull in the driveway and comes from the neighbors yard across our roof to the garage. She gets p nuts. She knows where we keep the bag and will go help herself when we leave the garage open in the mornings or evenings. Shes also gotten herself locked inside a few times during the day. We try to check for her before closing the door with it being so dang hot inside there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who was the one posted a video while out deer hunting, of the fawn that befriended him?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Shoot, start telling the stories. Animals are interesting creatures. We have a squirrel at home that my kids can hand feed. She knows when we pull in the driveway and comes from the neighbors yard across our roof to the garage. She gets p nuts. She knows where we keep the bag and will go help herself when we leave the garage open in the mornings or evenings. Shes also gotten herself locked inside a few times during the day. We try to check for her before closing the door with it being so dang hot inside there.
Squirrels are cool. We've raised several.

IMG_0422.JPG

Reactions: Flounderpounder

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Back to the old doe on our lease. When I'd drive in to fill the feeder where she lived she knew my truck and would come right up, watch me lower and raise the feeder and wait on me to throw her a snack. At this particular spot, I've got a lock-on about fifty feet up in a pine and she had watched me climb that tree many times. On many occasions, after the feeder threw and the deer and turkeys cleaned it up, she would look up to see if I was in the tree. I'd wave at her and she'd come stand about 20 yards from my tree, waiting. I'd talk to her, tell her okay, climb down with her standing there, go to the truck to get her some extra and come back to feed her. She'd come within about 4 feet but never let me touch her. I started bringing some corn in my pack every time I sat that stand and would throw it down on her when she came begging. She looked ancient, swaybacked and both ears drooped down on the side of her head but was very fertile, and always had at least one yearling. I always thought it was funny that her yearlings would flag, run and blow while Momma came to me like a pet. This went on for about 3 years, then a couple of years ago she disappeared, probably coyote bait.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool video. Buck looked like he had a bug in his ear. Are they this years fawns?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Go get a bag of bread(40lbs) at the day old bread store $4.50, feed a loaf a day and they will be eating out of your hand all the time.
Didn't know they like bread...thanks. Not sure how good it is for them though? Also, how is that going to make them less nocturnal (my original question)?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Bread is grain and great for the deer, you feed them during the day..They use to run up to the trunk of my car and while I was unloading and drag loaves out. take a loaf out during the day and wave the smell around and call them, they will get trained easily

1 - 18 of 18 Posts