Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I are prolly going to take the skiff to the santa rosa sound/tiger point area. He's going to throw the net and I will be in the tower fishing for reds/specks. I will be using topwater mirrolures first thing in the morning, and then sight fish for them, I tied the albright knot with 25# fluorocarbon as my leader with an owner circle hook, just trying to decide whether I should use finger mullet or pinfish for my bait??

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I think either live bait would be fine but I don't know if I would want Dad throwing his net where I am trying to fish...seems like it would spook fish and ruin the stealthy approach. I'd go throw your net first, then start fishing. Throwing a net can be had work so he should get worn out and probably get plenty of live bait in the process.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would go up into the canals and net up some baby menhaden. Then just hook them through the nose and freeline them over the grass and particularly the sandbars. The menhaden, like the mullet will swim right on the surface whereas the pinfish will hide in the grass. The mullet is definitely the tougher bait though. The menhaden will be torn up by the pinfish but you will net up so many you can afford to waste some. The reds and specks absolutely love menhaden. Another great bait are small crabs. Just walk along the shoreline and you will see them running out towards the grass as you walk. Just take a fine mesh bait net and scoop them up. Break the pincers off, the little buggers will grab you if they can.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I just get in the tower and fish from the sides and back, caught many of specks/ and reds while he was throwing his net. We have a 12' bait net and we are probablly going to net a bunch of ly's, and little finger mullet sometimes get caught in the net so I'll be using ly's, mullet, and pinfish and topwater.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts