Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have only been a forum member for a few months, but I am starting to notice a trend not that anyone really cares but it kinda eats at me. It seems like if yourlucky enough to have a "lease" or hunting club, in these parts, and there might be the possibility of an opening people like to back door it and that's all good because I understand you want trustworth people in it. But come on these few post everynow and then can not be all of the available club/leases. I'm from East Texas and this definitely ain't the way I am used to seeing things done. Grant it this is your leases and all but, if your not going to allow new members, you have to at least know of some club somewhere that is are that will be and my god guys $2000 for a 200-400 acre lease with no utilities. I used to have a 20,000 acre lease with 30 people in a town in west texas that shared a 4 foot fence with the Mossy Oak research facility, had a huge camphouse exotics,hogs,huge whitetail and I paid 1750 a gun. All I am saying is for $2000 a year for a place the deer better be monsters. Now before everybody gets all pissed about this I am just trying to figure out why everything is so hush hush and why certain people think there places are worth more than Some guided guranteed hunts? Please inform me as to why and if I am wrong or offend anyone I apologize , I am just sick of not having a Quality place to go hunt other than Eglin Range or some overcrowded Public place. Lived here 3 years haven't found one place offering.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
The answer is real simple:

It is supply and demand

I live near Orlando and good leases are $ 3500 to $6,500.00 per member per year here.

Like it or not, it is what it is. And as far as clubs selecting members, you want chemistry to be good and for members to mesh well with each other.

Always try to minimize pissing contests and members griping.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
hmmmm...I must be one of the good ole boys then. because everytime i open the newspaper, or drive around town i see dozens of places looking for members. and most are nowhere near the 2000 dollar mark. hell all of blue water creek got split up and became a handfull of private camps this year, and most if not all of those places were looking for members, I even saw quite a few post on here looking for members.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the meshing part, as far as the paper and seeing as you drive, not awhole lot of opportunities to see someone wanting members down here in Navarre driving 98. Like I said I am not trying to start a conflict just trying to get that opportunity in North florida/Alabma border to trickle down to people on the Coast.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Patman (1/9/2009)The answer is real simple:
It is supply and demand
I live near Orlando and good leases are $ 3500 to $6,500.00 per member per year here.
Like it or not, it is what it is. And as far as clubs selecting members, you want chemistry to be good and for members to mesh well with each other.
Always try to minimize pissing contests and members griping.
Exactly, there is a lot more land to go around in texas, versus around here or Alabama. These camps are mostly leases and usually the price for membership is set by the amount the lease is which is set by the landowner or forestry co., supplies, plots, and such. I just talked to a guy yesterday about a new lease in Marengo county, and he is wanting 12.50 an acre for 1700 acres, do the math. Now all leases are not that expensive, but they are on the rise as hunting land decreases. As far as the back door opening at camps,there are plenty out there that take members every year, just got to know where to look! But, I will say people are picky about who they let in there camps, it is all about chemistry when you got 15 to 20 members hunting 2500 acres. If I know a guy that is a good hunter on a personal note versus a guy I don't know nothing about, and there is a opening in my camp, then I am going to recommend the guy I know, no question. Bottom line, meet some folks and look in the right places and you will find a pretty good camp to join for a decent price. One thing is for sure, you are not going to kill a Texas buck in Florida or Alabama, but you do have the opportunity to kill a good buck no doubt. Finally, just ask, put it out there of what you are looking for and I am sure sooner or later someone on this forum could probably steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have seen some postings on here of club openings, try craigs list as well. I would love to start a club, I have a few buddies interested as well. But with being out of town so much its hard to get started.....

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,546 Posts
I know your frustrations all to well. I grew up here in SR county but never really hunted here much. We have always been in clubs or leased and now own land in AL. After graduating from Auburn and then living in Bham forseveral years I moved back here and lost a lot of my contacts. With the rising cost of gas/expenses, having a family, and just wanting to hunt more I went on a mission to find a place locally to hunt that didn't have WMA after the name. I got the invite to several nice clubs locally but I just can't spend all my money on hunting. With a $2K lease in AL another $2K lease here in Fl just wasn't and still isn't happening no matter how big the deer are. I'm to much of a tightwad. I did find a club after 3 seasons of looking...for the price it's not bad...and I found out about through the forum here. There are lots of deer but I don't expect to see or kill any wall hangers. But that's good because I just enjoy seeing deer and I'm not near as picky with my bowand that's what I use when I'm there mostly.Moral of the story is keep beating the bush. With more land being lost to developement and more and more people getting into huntingleases are going to go up....that's basic economics. With the financial world in the mess it is now I'm sure there will be more and more openings over the next couple of years....next year especially. Just have your $$$ ready when you see the ad and be ready to move on it.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I have been in my current club for 20 years. A bunch of friends put it together and we have never had an argument, no discord at all. Prior to this club, I was around 3 other clubs. Every one of them had a jerk in it. Most of the guys were good people but there was always one jerk who thought the world revolved around him and he did his best to ruin it for everybody else.

That's probably what the clubs you describe are trying to prevent.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Its not clubs jumping up the price its the land owners you lease from that jack it up. Had 115 acres in Greenville hunted it 1 year for $1000 next year he wanted $2000 for the property so I left it. Again you get 100 acres per member and the lease is going for 10-15 per acre you do the math. Not the clubs fault its the land owners greedy ass.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome to DA South.. Land is high, you gotta hunt ur ass off to kill a decint buck..

Save the club dues take a trip, and hunt public land here in Florida

·
Registered
45 Posts
:clap:clap:clap:clap I like that one. On the side hunt the management area's. Escambia River, Blackwater, Perdido, Eglin, not counting the one's in South Alabama or Mississippi. I am thinking about doing the same thing,Go on a week trip out of town for around 1,500 - 2,000 and stay close to home and hunt management area's. JMO

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Rack, I was born and raised in Pensacola but lived in Texas for almost 20 years and have now been back here 3 years like you. And I only had one year on a lease that was in Milton, that I am no longer on because it was almost a grand per year, and the locals had more run of it than we did, lot's of poaching, breaking our fences down, stealing our stands and feeders, and throwing moth balls all over my area when I told them to stay out. I have now resigned myself to the fact that I very well may not be hunting for a long time, because there is NO WAY I will spend that kind of money for a lease that is not even secure. Sad to say but the state of deer hunting in Florida has gone to hell in a hand basket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts