Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Pensacola and I am trying to find a good Ford mechanic to do a tune up on my 2005 FX4 F150. Its a 5.4 3V, which are know for having issues with the plugs breaking off in the cylinder heads or I'd do the tune-up myself. The Ford dealerships usually charge $500 as a base price for a tune up on this truck and then it goes up if any plugs break.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yea those things are a bitch to get out. They make a special tool to remove the portions that breaks. A lot of times if you do the tsb procedure correctly you have a better chance of them not breaking

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
My buddy works at a local mechanic shop and was doing a tune up on one of these, he had 3 spark plugs break off and could'nt get them out.. Talked to 3 different ford mechanics from the dealers and they all said the motor has to be pulled to get them out.. he found a way without pulling the motor to get them out.. very time consuming, but they are a pain..

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
My buddy works at a local mechanic shop and was doing a tune up on one of these, he had 3 spark plugs break off and could'nt get them out.. Talked to 3 different ford mechanics from the dealers and they all said the motor has to be pulled to get them out.. he found a way without pulling the motor to get them out.. very time consuming, but they are a pain..
They got a special tool to get them out. Still a pain to get out.

·
Freshwater Flounder
3,840 Posts
I've heard these guys do good work .....

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
What ever you do, do not let World ford do it. Astro was cheaper, so I found out afyer getting screwed at World Ford. Said they changed fluids? I went home and drained the diff, which had never been touched. Asked for synthetic and got nadda. Said they changed plugs, I have yet to verify but will in a few months.

My suggestion, take it yo Bigdaddy. Stand up guy!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Take it to Big Daddy. Don't even bother with the dealership. Heck, don't even bother looking any where else. Just make the scenic drive to Milton to Big's shop.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What ever you do, do not let World ford do it. Astro was cheaper, so I found out afyer getting screwed at World Ford. Said they changed fluids? I went home and drained the diff, which had never been touched. Asked for synthetic and got nadda. Said they changed plugs, I have yet to verify but will in a few months.

My suggestion, take it yo Bigdaddy. Stand up guy!!
Wow, that's the kind of stuff I'm afraid of. I've read horror stories about changing out these plugs. I can't believe Ford hasn't had a recall or a lawsuit yet. I moved here from Pennsylvania a few years back and had a mechanic I knew and trusted there. I've used a few different ones here in Pensacola and haven't found one yet that I really liked. I'll be contacting Bigdaddy's shop.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I used Winged Wheel on Blue Angel....good guy, and the price was great. He didn't break any, and I didn't have to buy tools or break my knuckles. I'm sure Bigdaddy is great as well, my son has done business with him and he does good work.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Nope. Can get them out with the tool. $400.00 if most break off. Tool worth $100.00 Want it done? If the plugs are not original & don't all break, Price drops.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts