Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to get some feedback on the most resonably priced gps/fishfinder combo needs to be a colour unit.I have a humminbird black& white unit but it seems hard to tell whats on the bottom. Need to get a unit with sharper contrast and clarity. Any suggestions will help .I do a lot of bay and near shore fishing upto 100 ft of water. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
I've used a lowrance lms337 for the past several years and have been very happy with it. there was a problem with the unit losing satellite service....but a quick download from the lowrance site fixed that. The lms525 is the newer version of mine

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,262 Posts
If your fishing well within sight of land then why not just get yourself a quality bottom machine combined with a handheld gpsmap w/ a mount? Will probably save you some $$$ and make it easier for you too concentrate on what your seeing on the screen. Just a thought.

·
Praedator
10,430 Posts
I don't run a combo unit. That's just a personal preference. I like two seperate full screens. But I run a Lowrance X107C DF and love it. It is the 2006 model which was replaced with the X515C DF. Just make sure that you get a unit with at least 500 watts of power.

And unless you get a big unit with a 10+ inch screen, the split screens are usually too small for my taste. And having to flip back and forth between screens when your trying to find a spot just pisses me off.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
bonita dan (12/23/2007)If your fishing well within sight of land then why not just get yourself a quality bottom machine combined with a handheld gpsmap w/ a mount? Will probably save you some $$$ and make it easier for you too concentrate on what your seeing on the screen. Just a thought.

No it will not Dan + you will be looking at a ity bity screen.

I have a Garmin 498. [internal antenna] It's fine for a inshore boat. I also use it on the Mako's Crows Nest as a GPS only.

It is NOT what you want for bottom bumping fishing spots. You need 2 stand alone units that have easy controls. There is to much menu jumping for bottom bumping and the fact that you are splitting a small screen too. :(

It might just be me, but I'm not happy with Garmin's newest stuff out. Oh it work's, but they changed all the formats of operation that had been a standard for so many years. If you could run one Garmin, you could run any of them.

I can't find stuff easy in the new units. It's like they hide it.

I own a Garmin 2006C, 498 & 76Cx

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a lowrance 337 combo unit, its color and 4.5" or 5"? screen. i like it alot because it uses yellow and red to contrast the bottom and im partially color blind to the color green/orange (don't laugh it sucks!) so i cant use the garmins. its not had to use and easy to bounce from full bottom screen to full gps/map screen. it discontinued now but the new version is suppose to be the same except it has a radar page if you have that kind of stuff is what i was told. cost me around $650 3 years ago. came with the antenna and transducer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I forgot that the chartplotter feature if priceless for saving all those canal way points and stuff and you got a visual reference from where you are and it is on the map.

I am curious though if anyone has tried one of those new hummingbird 2d machines that shows you that picture like view of the bottom in the gulf?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.