Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Lowrance elite 4 chirp and there are a bunch of wires on the power cable in addition to the positive and negative. Not sure what to do with those? Anyways whats a simple combo for the yak? I like the fact thats its dsi/sonar and gps. It looks like the chirp is replaceing the old lowrance gps/ff combo. Whats my best option now?

·
MILF - Man I Love Fishing
806 Posts
Those extra cables are for optional connections. Some people cut them off. I just folded them back and taped them to the cable itself.

The Elite 4 you picked up should be great for a yak. I got the elite 5, but in reality it's probably a bit much for my yak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Liquid electrical tape. You can cut them off down around where they separate and coat them in liquid electrical tape. That will keep them out of the way and maintain a waterproof/or at least water resistant seal around the necessary wiring. We've used it on a number of installs and with a little care it turns out nicely.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dsi

Will the chirp series do thru hull? I found out the hard was dsi doesn't.
DSI does work thru hull, I would mount the transducer with Duct Seal Dam just put a handfull of water in the dam. I have tried a couple other methods and this gives the best image I think.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I cut the the NMEA wires right at the connector...I'll never need to hook it up to other electronics and if I sell it I would think someone seriously wanting to hookup to other electronics is gonna start off bigger than an Elite 4.
The Duct Seal dam does in deed do the job.

·
Freshwater Flounder
3,840 Posts
I just use a cheap Humminbird but I'm more concerned with kowing the depth and a general idea of fish activity in the area than i am the degree of bottom detail or trying to target a specific species. I silicone the connections on the head unit generously and take it off to clean the pins periodocally. Learned to do this after saltwater corrosion destroyed a couple of pins ony last unit. I frequently take some big waves over the bow and head unit when launching in rough surf ... so it's important to keep the saltwater out of those connecters. When it craps out on me eventually
.. and it will ... I'll just put another cheap Humminbird from Wally-World on and not be out much. Excepting where the connectors go in the head unit itself is pretty darn waterproof. I don't need a gps cause I'm never that far out and i don't mark spots ... but I'd probably get a separate handheld gps if i wanted to do that and it could double as a backup for my boat. Another plus for my cheap humminbird is it's pretty simple to operate with just 3 large buttons i can push with my big toe. It's mounted pretty far forward on the yak (OK Prowler) and quite a reach to try and operate it by hand when on the water.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have the Lowrance Elite 4 HDI and asked Lowrance tech support what to do with the NMEA cable:

From Lowrance tech support: The NMEA 0183 wires are used to connect a VHF radio to the unit for GPS communication. If you don't have a VHF radio then yes you can cut the wires off. Thank you for choosing Navico products! Navico Technical Support.

I cut it off at the display unit and put some Goop on the cut to keep water out. Works fine.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blake I have a 2011 revo and it is not. My trident was, however the chirp series wouldn't recess down in it. The chirp has a larger transducer than the dsi unit I had before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts